Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia graphics problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Griggle

Griggle

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

My old computer is experiencing the nv_disp.dll error and the solution to that is to install the most recent graphic drivers, however whenever i try installing one it says that setup can't work because there is no nvidia graphics card to update.
My computer has a built-in graphics card and i am looking to solve this problem without having to do an overhaul.

Manufacturer: Http://www.abit.com.tw/
Model: AN7 (nVidia-nForce2)
CPU: AMD athlon*tm XP 2800+

it is a nvidia Geforce fx 5200 graphics card if that helps any.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

<<My computer has a built-in graphics card and i am looking to solve this problem without having to do an overhaul.>>

Hmm...not according to the specs for that motherboard as a standalone item. The nvidia FX 5200 is an AGP card which is installed in AGP slot (I have one sitting idly in my apartment).

It's possible that you are trying to install incorrect drivers.

The correct drivers appear to be at http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html.

I suggest uninstalling your current video drivers, using Device Manager...then rebooting and trying the ones I linked to above.

Louis

#3 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

i did so, and now my computer is refusing to boot up, it stops at the AMD screen where i am offered two choices, i can press delete to go to setup or tab to ....do a really long check that eventually boots up windows. however, after trying two keyboards it appears that i can't do anything at this screen and it doesn't proceed on it's own.

Bad computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:38 PM

<<i did so, and now my computer is refusing to boot up, it stops at the AMD screen where i am offered two choices, i can press delete to go to setup or tab to ....do a really long check that eventually boots up windows.>>

FWIW: There's a difference between a system which "refused to boot" and one which boots slowly.

What is this "check" that you casually mention? What appears onscreen?

Louis

#5 HighDangler

HighDangler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:28 AM

i had the same problem. i started in safe mode with networking, un-installed NVIDIA drivers re-started in safe mode with networking, downloaded the new display driver, re-started in safe mode, downloaded driver package (and note its location) until everything was un-zipped then cancel set-up. Open device manager go to display adapter properties and click update driver. Browse to the location where driver package was downloaded, click find driver software at this location, wait till it installs, then restart computer. I have no idea why this worked (after 2 months of pulling my hair out) but it did.

#6 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

Tab is the POST screen which shows memory testing and after memory testing is complete proceeds to boot, apparently the keyboard error resolved itself as i can boot properly now.

#7 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

ok so now i have safe mode with networking but the driver still failed, cause the second i try to do normal boot i get a black flickering screen

#8 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:35 AM

im still working on this problem if anyone is willing to help.

Although the monitor no longer flickers off/shuts down, the screen is significantly slower in loading things like desktop items and tracking motion on screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users