Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual output video cards

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:57 PM

I have used dual-screens for well over a year, and I have installed it on more then just a few of my clients. Some may wonder, just how is it done or what are the benefits?

First off, dual-screens simple means that you are using 2 monitors at the same time. They can either be side-to-side, up top-to-bottm. Multi-screen means that there are more then 2, usually 4, 6, or 8, but an odd number of monitors is not uncommon. When dealing with 4 or more, then they are usually in the shape of a square, but other configuations are possible.

Currently, I am working on a few tutorials that explain what to look for on the hardware end. In this thread, I would like to go over a few advantages and disadvantages.

One big advantage, is that you do not have to minimize as many applications. While I am typing this message on one screen, I have another text-based program running on the other screen. I can cut, copy, and paste easily from one to the other. In theory, you can get more done, with just one computer, but I will often watch movies full-screen on one monitor, while surfing with another.

There are a few things to consider, if you want to do this. First, there is a VERY good chance, that you will need more RAM then what you have. The reason why this is, is because the more applications running at the same time, the more memory you need. Also, not all programs, especially full-screen games, like multiple monitors. When you move from one monitor to another, you are moving the cursor beyond the border of the window. Some games do not like that.

To those who have more then one monitor, please share with us on the uses that you do. I know that I could write a novel on the different uses that I have done.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:29 AM

Jason,

This is exactly what I am looking to do. I don't need to toggle back and forth for gaming - there's a separate computer here for those who play.

I've a two hard drive system @ 60gb each (Formerly a Systemax build now modified) with twin MOBs, AMD 2000XP's and 512mhz SDDR on each (expandable). Currently, I've one drive partioned to Win XP Home & Office with a LINUX partion; the other drive to a UNIX application. I'm using two NEC FE700+ monitors side by side, each connected to a MOB, but not switchable.

I've a separate security system that I'd like to incorporate into the monitoring - a four camera system - though I'm only able to check on one camera at a time now.

I'd also like to plug in other systems to debug, be they PC's or Laptops.... and still operate/use my other drives/systems.

I've a SAT-Com TV system that I can switch into, but this then precludes my doing anything else, so I've kept it on a separate monitor for the most part.

I'm not a Tech... though I can "hammer in" just about any hardware upgrade (Tee-hee).

(To digress: I started out in '49 learning about computers. My folks taught me to count using an abacus and chop sticks (Base codes varied.)); I've been playing at it all ever since...

~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:44 PM

Sounds neat I aint got 1k for 3 flat monitors..... LOL Ill stick to one monitor for now....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users