Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange folder properties results

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

HP Media Center m7060n
xp mediacenter 2005 sp3
AV windows live one care
Current problem is a wrong tv card driver installed by a helpful friend. Driver will not uninstall without freezing the machine.

Now it is my turn.

I have a path mapped out to fix the issue but I ran into something I cannot craft a google query that can find. I have never seen it before in windows.

Planning to do a simple file backup as well as an image backup I wanted to check the size of the users documents and settings space.

When I went to check the size of the "C:\Documents and Settings\users name" folder, I did a right click and chose properties. The usual box pops up and it starts counting up the files and folders.

It keeps counting until it starts showing absurd results. It keeps going. At aprox 115,000,000 files and 45,000 folders I close the window.

I try another directory. I close this one when it exceeds the number of megabytes in the partition.

The user has lots of files but no where near the numbers indicated. Drilling down in the directories shows only the usual suspects and the expected amount of files and folders. Mounting the drive on a live linux cd shows nothing unusual and counts the files and folders as expected.

I will do a full drive image first and make sure it can be mounted on a linux box and restored to a spare drive, but I am curious if anyone has seen this behavior before and whether it is associated with any malware or rootkits. I plan to scan it as soon as I know I have a good backup and two sets of recovery dvd's.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users