Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

emachine notebook with winxp won't fully boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 msee

msee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:17 PM

i have a emachine model number W340UA with windows xp. machine starts to boot, then i get a black screen with the message, press F11 to start recovery, then it goes to the screen allowing you to boot with safe mode or last known good configuration of last known working conditions.. it will go to the windows logo, then reboots. any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

Gateway /emachines use f-11 to start the recovery partition which is what will put your machine back to factory installed. You will lose all installed programs and data.

But it is good that it is there.

Have you tried choosing safe mode, safe mode command line? etc...

Some times choosing last known config several times can let you boot.

But you should back up what is important to you (to an external drive) if you get in at safe mode and then run one of the malware scanners and see what shows up.

If you can't do any of the above come back and we will try something else. The potential problem field is wide open at the moment, see if you can narrow it down a bit.

#3 msee

msee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:56 PM

each of the options end the same, the safe modes run a few files, each process ends with the file multi(0)disk(o)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\agpCPQ.sys then quickly flashes a blue screen and reboots, but i can't see what it says. when i use the start with last known configuration and start normally, it goes to the logo, then the same blue screen and then reboots. does this help?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

Worth reading, http://www.etcwiki.org/wiki/AgpCPQ.sys_freeze.

Generic references at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=

Louis

#5 msee

msee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:29 PM

i was wrong on the model number of the laptop. it is an N-10 EMachine. not sure if it makes a difference

#6 msee

msee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

also, on the most recent starting, it seems to start up right, but nothing shows on the screen

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

ummm.

Can you describe what you mean by "start up right" and "nothing"?

Did it boot to windows but load no icons? Did the screen go black? is there a mouse cursor? Is the green light on the monitor on? Did you see anything on the screen as it "booted"?

Your description might make sense to you but I can't see what you are seeing.

#8 msee

msee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:54 PM

sorry. it starts, fans come on, the cd light comes on. the screen stays black, no cursor, no sound, no anything. does this help?

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

ok.
N-10 emachine is a laptop right? A "special" model made for walmart I think. If you hold a flashlight up close to the lcd panel can you see any text or a windows background?

If you did not see the splash/f-11 screen go by at the usual time it is unlikely that it has booted. Do you have an external monitor on a desktop you can plug into it? Do you have a boot or recovery disk from emachines?

Our possible problems are multiplying, that's rarely good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users