Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost one partition from 2nd hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kawaman

kawaman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

ok this is a new one for me.computers been running fine since putting in new c drive (original is on its way out)so I decided to get a program and back up my computer (usually just copy to another hard drive unplug and save).I purchased acronis true image home 2009 and used it to copy my c drive to a bigger hard drive (all went well).so I decided to back up my system files to an external hard drive ( 80 gb maxtor )I also have a second hard drive with two partitions on it (western digital wd 1600jb-75guao)and letters are d and e, d being primary active and e being logical drive .now in the past when ever I turned on the external drive it would go to letter f but this time it took letter d away from partition 1 on my second hard drive and left it with no letter and now that partition doesn't work .but partition e boots up and is ok .I used wd diagnostics long test and it found no errors. In my computer it doesn't see partition 1 but it sees partition 2.in computer management it sees both partitions but in partition 1 i can only perform delete partition or help.question is why would hd take letter asinged to partition and leave it unusable.and how do I get it back?

things I tried already:
1:copied second hd to another bigger hd to save data just in case.It copied exactly the same whare one partition works and the other doesn't
2:I deleted the logical partition and all data(have it saved on another hd) to see if it would allow the other partition to be seen.no go still cant see it and now in my computer it will not see hd any more.
3:I also tried to use wd software to get the hd to boot ,no go
4:also tried using old 98 startup disk to get boot back but it wouldn't see the partition.

one more bit of information I installed linux freespire on a separate hd with my second hard drive in computer so now in acronis true image home 2009 that partition reads fat 32 partition :0x83(linux native) linux hd no longer pluged in to computer

any one have any ideas how I can get back the data off partition 1?I was going to try and delete the partition and resetup the drive then copy the data from other hd I copied it all to but im afraid it wont work cause in acronis it doesn't see any data on that partition to copy

thanks curt oh and im running windows xp pro sp3

Edited by kawaman, 23 November 2009 - 04:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

Does Disc MGMT see the drive? Go to the run box in the start menu and type diskmgmt.msc
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 kawaman

kawaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

yes diskmgmt.msc sees the disk but there is no letter to that partition and can't see any data.its labeled healthy (active)

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

Right click on the unlabled partition and assign it a drive letter and see if you can access it.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 kawaman

kawaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

all i can do with that partition is click on delete partition or help

#6 kawaman

kawaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

ok I did some digging last night and understand what happened now.I downloaded a demo of disk doctor data recovery software to see what I might find .disk doctor says the partition is now a linux file system.so I downloaded the linux version and it says primary super block damaged.apparently when I unplugged my c drive and hooked up a 10 gig hd to put linux on i left the second hd plugged in so when linux installed it put a boot sector behind the windows boot sector .Then when I was back in windows and plugged in my external hd it wiped out the windows boot sector so only the linux boot is left.windows will not let me do anything with the partition but delete partition.but when I went back into linux it sees everything in the partition.Now my question is should I move this post to the linux section since I know vary little about linux and need to find out how to copy the data to maybe a dvd to save it .but will windows see the data on the dvd after I copy every thing?

thanks for all help guys

curt

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

I will ask for help from the other advisers. Hold tight while they respond.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:05 PM

One of the advisers said to Try this program it should allow you to access the linux partition from within windows.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

You can try to recover the partition table with TestDisk
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users