Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraud Fix & Smitfraud Fix Tool

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

I read today that there is quite a difference between Smitfraud Fix and Smitfraud Fix Tool. The latter is "genuine; the latter rogue anti-spyware that has nothing to do with Smitfraud.

I checked my Add and Remove programmes and discovered that I have the Smitfraud fix Tool listed there. I immediately tried to uninstall it but was told:

"Feature you are trying to use is on a CD Rom a or other removeable disk that is not available. Installation source isn't available. Verify the source exists and you can access it."

Does this programme really exist on my PC? If so. how did it get there? I don't recall installing it! I certainly don't have a CD Rom with it installed.

Any advice you can offer will be gratefully read and acted upon.

My thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

Malwarebytes anti malware will remove the rogue if you have it.

download it from here http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The free version is all you need

Edited by trollocks, 23 November 2009 - 05:11 PM.

#3 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:45 AM

Thanks to advice from previous helpers on bleeping computer I already have Malwarebytes installed on my PC and it tells me all is well. It's a great programme.

I just would like to remove the Smitfraud listing on my Add/Remove section. I cannot find Smitfraud mentioned anywhere else on my PC.

THANK YOU, TROLLOCKS, for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users