Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INTERNET EXPLORER 6 TROUBLES

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:53 AM

Hi, I am running Windows XP home with SP 2 installed and I am having a lot of trouble accessing the internet with Internet Explorer 6.

My ISP has passed the buck, and, told me that it is most likely that IE 6 needs to be repaired, fixed, or completely uninstalled, and then reinstalled.

OK, that had sounded good to me until I opened my add/remove programs window and found that I do not have anything related to Internet Explorer in there to remove! :thumbsup:

I was, however, able to search it up, and I tracked it down to a folder in Program Files, but I didn't see anything in that folder that said uninstall.

So this leaves me with two questions, the most obvious one being, "How do I go about uninstalling Internet Explorer?" The second question is "How do I keep from losing all of the bookmarks that are in my favorites list?" :flowers:

Thanks to anyone who replies.

:trumpet: Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:30 AM

How to Repair Internet Explorer 6
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:49 AM

How do I keep from losing all of the bookmarks that are in my favorites list?"

Go to File>Import and Export and using the Wizard, export your favourites to My Documents or better yet to a floppy or CD. When you need to you just reverse the process and Import them. Its a good idea to occasionally export them as you add to them. Just overwrite the current Bookmark.htm (thats the exported file) when prompted.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 Frankage

Frankage

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

I am having a similar problem. I'm able to connect using the Yahoo Browser (which uses IE) and I can connect with Firefox. IE (standalone) presents the message "Cannot find server or DNS Error". I've scoured the internet & tried all kinds of things - Winsock fix, IEFIX, LSPfix, various firewall manipulations among others. I've also tried the repair above. The trick to make windows think it's not installed does not seem to work - this may be because my initial CD - XP is SP1. I'm now on SP2 - downloaded from MS, so I don't have an SP2 install disk. The MS website has available IE SP1 but only patches for IE SP2. SP1 will not install if you're runing XP SP2. I've spent at least 10 hrs trying to fix this.

IE does not present in my ADD/Remove programs.

I've found that various software downloads reqire IE to operate - Nortan Antivirus & the latest Yahoo browser will not download through Firefox.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks

Edited by Frankage, 07 January 2006 - 11:21 PM.

#5 Neverwill

Neverwill

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:23 PM

http://www.firefox.com/

thats all i can tell you...Fire Fox is one of the best browsers out there and leaves IE6 in the dust

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users