Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Boot. Hard Drive Problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 haun

haun

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

Ok so my friend has a windows machine for gaming, and he called me up today saying that it wont boot up. So i came over and investigated.

When i got there i tried it. When you start the machine it goes through the normal processes, but at the XP logo with the status bar, it will go for a few seconds and then restart. over and over again. We tried safe mode and when we press enter to run stpd.sys the computer freezes and restarts.

I put in an Ubuntu disk we had lying around and put it in to see if it would even start up. In a way it does. We did start Ubuntu in disk-mode and when the verbose out-put came up we saw an error:
"buffer I/O error ond HDC, logic block 336156
hdc: Error code 0x70 sense key 0x03 asc: 0x11 ascq:0x05
Squashfs error: sb_bread failed reading block 0xa39d9
Squashfs error: unable to read page block 28e67810, size ef1a"
This leads me to think its a HD problem, hopefully able to be solved with a re-install.

Id like to note that a few days before we tried to install some ram but later when the machine wouldn't boot that the memory was not the same type, even though it was the same slot, different pin count. to remove the ram we had to pull out the power cord to turn it off. I have a feeling that this could have caused the problem.
Annnnd you're, asking, me...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:03 PM

<<...and when we press enter to run stpd.sys the computer freezes and restarts.>>

I don't know what you are saying...does the system pause...at what point are you running this sptd.sys file...and why?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/sptd.sys-13477.html AND http://www.file.net/process/sptd.sys.html

This is not a Windows system file, if you aren't using the software mentioned (or similar software which might employ said file)...I don't see the significance on any system.

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

Id like to note that a few days before we tried to install some ram but later when the machine wouldn't boot that the memory was not the same type, even though it was the same slot, different pin count. to remove the ram we had to pull out the power cord to turn it off. I have a feeling that this could have caused the problem.

You have likely damaged the memory slot and the computer won't boot because it can't load windows into memory and run it. If you have as you stated forced the wrong type of memory into a memory slot or inserted it backwards.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users