Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot problems since SP3 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 greystoke

greystoke

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

Since I upgraded to SP3 I have been experiencing problems getting my computer to startup. I have a pentium processor so the AMD fix won't help. After loading the windows downloads every couple of days I restart the computer as I am asked to. Sometimes it shuts down and then starts right back up again. But, many times I come back and find "no signal" blipping on the screen. Then when I press the button to start-up nothing happens. I have to hold it in for a long time and then I hear the printer wake up. Most times I have to press it 10-20 times before windows starts. I have Acronis True Image 11 and it has a boot recovery function that works sometimes.
My disk for windows xp home edition appears to be too old, as when I try to load it I'm told I have a much newer version in the computer and cannot use the disk. So, I cannot get the Recovery Console.
Need help.

MY WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION CD DISK WAS SUPPLIED TO ME BY GATEWAY, who made the computer.

Edited by greystoke, 24 November 2009 - 09:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

<<My disk for windows xp home edition appears to be too old, as when I try to load it I'm told I have a much newer version in the computer and cannot use the disk. So, I cannot get the Recovery Console.>>

Untrue.

The SP version of your XP install CD...only comes into play when attempting to either do a repair install or run sfc /scannow. Since each SP reflects different install files, Windows won't allow newer system files to be replaced by older ones...hence the warning comes up.

If trying to access the Recovery Console properly, there is no issue...RC commands/functions are the same for any XP install, regardles of what SP may be installed on the system or be reflected on the CD.

To be honest...the first thing I thought of when I read your inability to power up the system...is "power supply", not "SP3". Have you tried a different PSU?

System manufacturer and model? Or...motherboard manufacturer and model, if custom-built?

FWIW: If you want to create an updated XP install CD, Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/.

Note that these (and most instructions referencing "XP CD") instructions assume that the user has valid Genuine XP install CD....not recovery/restore CDs prepared by the manufacturer of the system. Although they seem to fulfill the same ultimate end (to some), restore/recovery CDs cannot be used in the same manner as an XP install CD.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2009 - 02:33 PM.

#3 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

Louis:

MY WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION CD DISK WAS SUPPLIED TO ME BY GATEWAY, who made the computer.

What can I do?

Greystoke

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:51 AM

What's your Gateway model?

Regarding your potential for repairing/recovery...you have to read the specifics set out by Gateway for your system...for proper use of any CDs supplied by them...and for determining any repair options available via installed software.

FWIW:

No POST - No Video - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007050376.shtml

Gateway Support - Windows XP Troubleshooting Checklists for Notebooks - http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...007051581.shtml

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users