Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locking out Screen Saver

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AhrenFox

AhrenFox

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

I am curious to know how to lock out the screen saver. Where I used to work when the screen saver came on you had to unlock your computer (ie enter password) and that would allow you access back on the computer, you could not change these settings and I think it was like 15 min before the screen saver would come on and you could not change the screen saver or the "wait" period and you couldnt change the Password protect option it was all greyed out.

Now here at my new job, been here awhile they dont have that and one of the moron coworkers has recently taken upon himself to password protect my computer from time to time (thinks its funny) and change the screen saver options and all that wonderful funny HA HA stuff. I would like to know how to do all that wonderful "Greying out" and disallowing changes to the screen saver and whatever else one can Lock Out.
Is there a program that does this or do I have to go into the Registry and change a few things, I would like to know.

I keep changing the passwords on my computer but during business hours I have to leave my computer available to the Techs that come in and need tool calibrations and so my boss can access files that I keep and they need, so that is my delimna.

I am running Windows XP pro with SP3 and its a Dell Lattitude D620 if that helps and I have another computer that I am upgrading to which is a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit, can I do the same with this one?

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:49 PM

I'm not sure how to grey out the checkbox, but here's how you can remove the screensaver tab from the display properties box:

Warning: This solution involves making changes to the Windows Registry. Always, always, always make a backup before modifying the registry as improper changes can render the operating system unusable. See here for instructions on backing up your registry.

1. Copy and paste the following text into Notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispScrSavPage"=dword:00000001

2. Save the file as screensaver.reg.
3. Right-click on the newly created file and select Merge from the menu.
Posted Image
4. Done!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 23 November 2009 - 02:53 PM.

#3 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

Thank you Amazing Andrew, Now how would I reverse this if I chose too at some later date in time, just delete that or change it? No hurry on a response though just asking.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

Simply repeat the process, but instead of:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispScrSavPage"=dword:00000001

Use