Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have to go to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alicerose

Alicerose

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

I am using Windows XP Home..I've been hearing rumors about Windows 7
& that we all have to change over.
Is this true.?
Can I keep Windows XP?
If not when & how does things change.
I'd like to keep my computer with XP.If I have to go with
Windows 7 than I might as well go with a new computer.
I'd appreciate any feedback about this.
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

No one has to do anything. Least of all when it comes to their computers. No one is required to use Windows 7 just like no one is required to stop using Windows 3.1.

Just as with any "upgrade" there are advantages and drawbacks with Windows 7. The general consensus is that it is vastly superior to Windows Vista and an all around neat bit of work; I haven't seen or heard of any "absolutely must have" features, though. Many users, myself included have no intention of upgrading in the near future; Windows XP works just fine for me and so long as Microsoft continues to issue security patches for it, I see no reason to change.

The long and short of it it this: your computer is your property. You own it and may do with it as you please. If you wanted to, you could dump Windows entirely and install Linux, BSD, Plan 9, or some other operating system and no one could say a thing against you.

(Note that the whole notion of "Trusted Computing" may eventually make that last statement false.)

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

Of course you don't HAVE to change. But........... Win7 will more than likely be around a long time, just as XP has been. Win7 is more secure than XP and if you go to school or work someplace that starts to use win7 it would probably be easier to convert if you bring work home. You don't have to change machines to use Win7. I know a guy using an under clocked Pent 4 to run it just to see if he could. He has no probelms. however, if you are buying or building a new machine, there really isn't a reason not to go ahead and get it with WIn7.

I got Vista about 18 months ago. i'm going to change to Win7 just because Vista is (IMHO) going to be treated like a redheaded step child and while not abandoned, just not given much thought by MS, kind of like ME. I'm also building a computer for my daughter which I will put Win7 on. She is 7, that's what they use at her school and it seems stupid for her to learn an OS that will be dead before she reaches puberty lol.

#4 Alicerose

Alicerose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:09 PM

Thanks,alot...
That makes me feel better..
I couldn't imagine someone telling you that you have to use anything if you didn't want to.
But today,you just never know.
I'll stay with my XP until I decide to get a new computer than I'll get the Windows 7 Or whatever there is at that time.
Thanks again for your info.
Greatly appreciated.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:01 PM

In any case, there is no need to hurry to migrate to W7, as long as XP is supported by Microsoft, which seems to the the case for the near future. Most business will certainly wait until at least the first Service Pack is released before making any changes.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users