Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU at 100% nearly all the time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HopefulDude

HopefulDude

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hello,

My PC has been running at 100% for quite a long time now, and it's driving me insane. I bought a cooler which seemed to work originally, but it seems even worse now.

The CPU% doesn't stay at 100% when idle, but when I am active on the computer it maxes. I am pretty sure it's not a virus, kasperSky, Malware Bytes, and Norton all returned clean reports.

I have investigated the issue some, and tried turning off services, but it just seems like nothing is a permanent fix.

One example I can give is when i am playing Evony online. I can barely move at times, and it says that FireFox is using 58% of my cpu. Yet, when I play on lesser equipped machines, this doesn't happen.

Please help.

(Edit) Just noticed my windows experience is rated at a 1.0...it used to be a 4.5...

My Specs:
Dell Inspiron 1520
Windows Vista
4 Gigs of Ram
Intel Core Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00 Ghz 2.00 Ghz
NVIDEA GeForce 8600M GT

Edited by HopefulDude, 23 November 2009 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 othersteve

othersteve

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

Hey there HopefulDude,

Have you tried running the system in Safe Mode to see if the problem persists?

Also, you may wish to download Process Explorer and post a log of the running processes for us to examine.

~os
geek since childhood, tech for over ten years
ign boards moderator of eight years
digitalchumps.com managing editor (tired of fixing your computer? take a break and read about some videogames instead. ;)

Life is short do something nice for someone!

#3 HopefulDude

HopefulDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

Ok, oddly enough, when I told Windows to analyze (refresh) my system to re-rate my rating score, it jumped up to a 4.7 and everything seems to be working great right now. That's kind of a nuissance if you ask me. I guess when I reformatted many months ago, I never did this, and it wasn't optimized properly?

It went from a 1 for everything to this:
Processor: 4.7
Memory: 4.8
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming Graphics: 5.3
HDD: 5.9

I am guessing that's out of a 10?

I am attaching a log file for your review. Would you mind taking a peak, and letting me know if there is anything clogging up my system anyway?

Attached Files

#4 othersteve

othersteve

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:28 AM

No; it isn't out of 10, so don't concern yourself with that. Honestly, it's a pretty arbitrary rating, meant purely for relative comparisons.

Thanks for posting your log. The first thing I would investigate is:

1. What add-ons are loaded in Firefox, and
2. Whether the system runs significantly better with Kaspersky uninstalled.

I think my first step would be to close Firefox for the time being and uninstall Kaspersky. Afterward, please run the Kaspersky Removal Tool and report back with your status. :huh:

~os
geek since childhood, tech for over ten years
ign boards moderator of eight years
digitalchumps.com managing editor (tired of fixing your computer? take a break and read about some videogames instead. ;)

Life is short do something nice for someone!

#5 HopefulDude

HopefulDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

everything seems to be working beautifully right now. I think Evony might be poorly built. Seems that everytime I click on the Evony tab my CPU maxes, and stays at 90% or above.

Everything else is working great though. As I type this, my CPU is running below 10%.

As far as my firefox add-ons go, I only have 1, which is the Microsoft framework.

Got 2 side questions if you don't mind.

1) Every time I restart my computer, I get a blue screen error. If I shut down, and then start fresh, it works fine. I seem to remember there was a windows update that fixed this. Would you happen to know which one this was?

2) The bottom 20% of my laptop screen has gray bars. I've had to use a desktop monitor due to this. My laptop monitor resolution was 1400 x ?? (can't remember), but the external monitor is 1024 x 768. Since this is not the native resolution of my machine, will this cause any harm?

Thanks so much for your help.

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

hi,,,, if envoy is the online game then your pc spec should handle this no problem,,,, looking at the log you posted it looks like you have printer software running on start up,,,, over the yeare i have noticed in a lot of systems when printers are added to pc's ,,, especially the all in one variety, the software provided when installed always pins its self to the start up,, and a lot of times the spool drivers for this crap causes the cpu to ramp up,,,, in task manager you will be able to see which process is using all the cpu,,, take a look in there and let us know which it is,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users