Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sometimes my computer freezes while it's loading up in the morning.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:22 AM

Sometimes my computer freezes while it should be trying to get to the point where it's done starting up in the morning. The desktop appears, and the icons, and sometimes some programs in my 'Startup' folder open, but then it freezes, no more loading, and it doesn't let me interact with it in any way other than that the mouse moves, no matter how long I wait. This morning I had to force a restart several times before it successfully loaded up, which was worse than ever. I thought maybe I had too many programs in my 'Startup' folder so I chopped it in half in Safe Mode, but still it happens sometimes. It feels like it could be anything, so I'm not sure what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 othersteve

othersteve

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hey andrew,

This is a tricky one to diagnose at times. Could you possibly post an Autoruns log for analysis?

Also, you may wish to run a bootvis analysis, which enumerates startup processes and shows how they affect boot times.

What type of security software are you running?

~os
geek since childhood, tech for over ten years
ign boards moderator of eight years
digitalchumps.com managing editor (tired of fixing your computer? take a break and read about some videogames instead. ;)

Life is short do something nice for someone!

#3 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

I want to attach an AutoRuns.arn, but it tells me "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file." Is there a way to get a .txt log?

As for the Bootvis, I downloaded it, but what would you suggest I run with it?

As for security software, I'm running AVG, ZoneAlarm, Malwarebytes, and Ad-Aware.

#4 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:03 AM

And I usually reinstall Windows XP again, without a format, just for the sake of repairing, whenever it seems worth it, but if I try that these days I get this: http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc273/A...AA/100_5792.jpg

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:22 AM

I would try running chkdsk /r (space between k and /) on the C: partition...but first I would move any data files which I deemed worthy of such...to a different drive/partition/media.

Did you check the hard drive connections...as suggested in the error message?

Did you try running the long test from the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic?

Louis

#6 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

Ok, I just set chkdsk /r to run the next time I restart, which will be soon, when I go out.
I'm not comfortable with the inside of the computer, so I didn't open it, but I never did recently either, as I tend to stay away from it, so I assume the hard drive connections are okay. And it certainly seems that way, since I'm using it now.
Do you know how I might run the 'long test' from the manufacturer? It's a Dual Xeon 3.06GHz.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

Go to Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter) and click the plus sign in front of Disk Drives.

This should allow you see summary data re each hard drive attached to the motherboard.

If you get a model number rather than the name of a given manufacturer...just google the model number and you'll find out who the manufacturer is.

After finding out who the manufacturer is...go to the proper website.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

The diagnostic utility should be spellled out and downloadable from the manufacturer's website...in .iso format (for CD). Download that.

Then you need to select one of the following methods for burning the .iso file into a bootable CD.

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm. FWIW, I use Active@ Iso Burner but just use a program that seems easy to use.

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

After the bootable CD is produced, insert it in the optical drive. Reboot the system...enter the BIOS/Setup and change the boot order so that the optical drive is the first boot device.

Save the change made by hitting the F10 key and the system will reboot.

You will get some options...just remember that if a long and a short test are offered...you want to run the long diagnostic.

Please don't select any other options that the diagnostic may present to you :thumbsup:.

When it completes, it should provide summary data. If it reflects "0x00' or something similar, the drive has no problems. If errors are noted, write down recommendations and the code (if one is used).

Louis

#8 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

The hard drive is a "HPT DISK 0_0 SCSI Disk Device" but Googling it didn't seem to help find who the manufacturer is.

I don't think the hard drive is the problem anyway, but rather that I need to do a complete reformat. I have a Windows XP Setup CD, and I backed up all my desired files onto an external hard drive, but after starting the Windows XP Setup (Full Install, not Upgrade) in Safe Mode and having it reboot and continue trying to install, I get a blue screen with a 0x00 type code. Is there any way to tell the computer to completely reformat the hard drive (2x500GB set up in a Mirror Array, in case one hard drive has a hardware fault, I'll still have the data on the mirrored drive) so that I can install Windows XP all over again, with no problems that I'm trying to get rid of? If I insert the Windows XP CD and select to boot from CD, it claims I have no hard drives installed and can't continue.

Are any of the diagnostics you presented useful for allowing my computer to detect the hard drives, so I can reformat them?

Also, if it's any help or clue, even Safe Mode requires about 10-15 minutes to load up the desktop and become ready for use. It happens the same way every time. Another clue may be that the hard drive will beep during invalid actions (such as holding the <- arrow key in when there's nowhere for the cursor to go when naming a file) instead of the regular speakers giving an audio as usual.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

You cannot install XP...from safe mode.

Safe mode is designed to troubleshoot problems on an existing Windows install.

If you have RAID, that merely complicates the troubleshooting efforts, IMO. I've not much experience with RAIDs and will defer to those with more experience and knowledge about such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users