Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AC Adapter Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CrownVictoriaCop

CrownVictoriaCop

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:03 AM

Recently I have been having trouble with the AC Adapter for my Acer Aspire 5920-6914 notebook. A few weeks ago, the AC plug in the back started acting funny. Only in a certain position would the charge light go on and the battery would charge. This was okay, but now it has gotten worse. My laptop since then no longer takes a charge from the AC Adapter, no matter what position the plug is in. My laptop battery has since died and I am left with only my lower-end laptop. How can I possibly solve this problem? Do I need a new AC Adapter or a new laptop altogether?

By the way, the AC Adapter I got was from Acer Tech Support a while back. It is a Lite-On brand adapter, as the one that originally came with the laptop was broken.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

Broken power socket. I am not sure on that model whether or not the socket is directly attached to the motherboard. The pictures I find of it don't show a motherboard mounted socket, just a power input from the battery. I think it has a seperate socket jumpered to the motherboard, which greatly simplifies things. No soldering......hopefully.

EDIT: It looks like it has a seperate power socket. http://www.scribd.com/doc/15021242/Aspire-...-Service-Manual
Can't find a part number for it though.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

You can find the part here you will need to verify the correct plug for your specific laptop. If you are good with a soldering iron there not too difficult to replace or if they get one with the cable installed in stock you wont have to solder anything. For another repair solution you can try a company Called Pell technoloy they repaired the motheboard on my Gateway and saved me a few hundred bucks on a new board. Lastly if there is an electroics repair shop in your home town they can perform this task as well.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 CrownVictoriaCop

CrownVictoriaCop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

OK, I know someone who knows a lot about soldering. I'll most likely order the part and have him fix it. Though I'm thinking about possibly getting a Dell laptop pretty soon, so I can have something with 7 on it.

Thank you guys for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Edited by CrownVictoriaCop, 23 November 2009 - 06:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users