Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build for a family computer.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wink

Wink

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:25 AM

Hello,
I am building a family computer, leaning towards "light" gaming for now, with options to upgrade in the future. This is what I have chosen from Newegg:
Chip/Set: Asus AMD 790X
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3
Power Supply: Antec 650W
Memory: AMD 4 GB DDr3
Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB
Video: Radeon 4670 1 GB, I have not decided on the manufacture yet
Case: Antec 902
I was sort of leaning towards a Intel MB that would support the i5 processor, but it got a little too costly for me.
So what do you think of this build? Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Wink

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:44 AM

You could change the MB and RAM to make it less expensive. I might also change the video card to something which supports DirectX 11. Another member here has that case and hates it.

Things I would change:
MB: ASUS M4A77TD Pro
RAM: OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Video: Radeon HD 5750
Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 Wink

Wink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:55 PM

Hi,
Thank you for the feedback RainbowSix, I think you are right about the RAM, I was also considering getting the Corsair Xms3 , it is a little cheaper also, I will have a good look at the RAM you suggested.
It never occurred to me to make sure that the Video card should be compatible with DirectX 11, thanks for the heads up on that, there is just too many choices when it comes to Video cards, I find it quite confusing.
I wonder why the other member hates that Antec case? I think it is "so ugly it is beautiful", I have read that the case is a little tight to fit some video cards, but I have not found any discussion about anything technically wrong with it.
Thanks again,
Wink

#4 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:06 PM

Hi,
Thank you for the feedback RainbowSix, I think you are right about the RAM, I was also considering getting the Corsair Xms3 , it is a little cheaper also, I will have a good look at the RAM you suggested.
It never occurred to me to make sure that the Video card should be compatible with DirectX 11, thanks for the heads up on that, there is just too many choices when it comes to Video cards, I find it quite confusing.
I wonder why the other member hates that Antec case? I think it is "so ugly it is beautiful", I have read that the case is a little tight to fit some video cards, but I have not found any discussion about anything technically wrong with it.
Thanks again,
Wink

You must mean me :thumbsup:

Technically it's the 900 I don't like. I have no experience with the 902 :huh: I'm not really sure if the price justifies a mid tower either. $120 for a mid when the greatly superior CM HAF full tower is $130.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-160-_-Product

Also, for the price of the 902 I could get a sweet Aluminium Lian Li ;) I hate to bust the Antec bubble, but I think too many people base it on it's looks and follow the crowd on reviews, and that's why it gets good review.

LIAN LI PC-8N > Antec 902 . And it's even bigger than the 902 aswell and lighter.
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

That looks like a good build, though I would not suggest having a single 1TB drive. Unless you DVR all the high-def channels for have a mountain of high quality video stored on your PC, you may be better off with a smaller drive. If you want extra redundency, you can get a small drive for your operating system and applications, with a second large drive for movies, music, pictures, etc. You also need an operating system for this PC and an optical drive. Going for one of the Core i7/i5 CPU's should be considered if you're planning on doing some heavy gaming, and only then after considering the Phenom II X4 965. Since previous posters included content from Newegg.com, which will not ship to Canada, I will combine everything together into one list coming from Newegg.ca and explain a bit on the hardware.

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP - Cases are mostly a style choice until you get to the huge graphics cards. For a mid-range family PC, you don't need a giant full ATX case since many graphics cards in this tier aren't that huge. In the grand scheme of cases, aluminum cases, such as the RAIDMAX SIRIUS ATX-701WB are a little higher class than a steel case. Both will do well, however, shipping will be expensive so be on the lookout for free shipping offers. $79 (Before $25 mail-in rebate)

Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - This motherboard supports AM3 CPU's, DDR3-1600 RAM, and CrossfireX. ASRock is a good company and the 770 motherboard is designed for mid range PC's. It supports fast memory but the CrossfireX performance may be more lacking than a 790 chipset, which the enthusiast crowd seems to enjoy. CrossfireX will still work normally, but about 20% slower than a ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X motherboard which has an x8 PCI-E slot when using CrossfireX. $69

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz - A fine choice. If you are planning on doing any gaming, go for at least a dual core with a 2.8GHz. clock for best performance. If you are going to be gaming extensively later on, a quad core like the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz should be considered. However, to obtain the best performance with multi-core systems, the application should be designed for them. Almost all newer games will take advantage of two cores, some four cores. A triple core CPU is a good middle ground. $138

RAM: Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB - Almost any DDR3-1600 will work. There are some differences between manufacturers, but typically if the product works for 48 hours and passes a stress test with no errors, it is good. Some good companies to consider are Patriot, Kingston, Corsair, OCZ, Crucial, and G.Skill. Remember, you need a 64-bit operating system to use all 4GB. $98 (Before $15 mail-in rebate)

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100284L Radeon HD 5750 1GB - If you're planning on doing gaming that isn't faster paced, like Modern Warfare or Crysis, a 5750 will do well. This is the low-cost option in the new Radeon 5-series. However, if you are going to be playing fast-paced games, then you may want to consider a 5770 card, like the SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770. There is very little difference between card manufacturers, ATI or Nvidia design the card and then send the specs out to companies to build. The companies can then alter a few things, like fan design or the amount of VRAM in some cases, but they are largely identical. The only real differences are with warranties and bundles. $143

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W - If you're not planning on using CrossfireX, this PSU is more than enough. However, if you plan on using CrossfireX, a 700W PSU or greater, like the OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W, is suggested. Among PSU manufacturers, there are several very good ones, like Corsair, OCZ, Silverstone, and PC Power. PSU's can also come as modular, which means you plug in the various cables as you need them, thus making cable management easier. Some power is lost as a result, but many people prefer a clean, unobstructed case over a few watts. $98 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB - Unless you use tons of hard drive space, this should work. Western Digital has hard drives that come in two types, Green and Black. Black drives are meant for greater performance, but green drives use less power and are slightly slower. You could, if you have loads of cash, get a solid state drive, but for a family PC, this will do nicely. $74

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - All you really need is a simple drive. If you have a large monitor for movies or plan on connecting this PC to an HDTV, you could consider a Blu-Ray burner, like the LG Black 8X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk Model WH08LS20K. $32

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - You need an operating system to run a PC, a 64-bit one to use 4GB or more of memory. You also cannot reuse an old copy of Windows on a new PC if it came as OEM. $121

Grand Total: $859 (Before Rebates)

Edited by DJBPace07, 23 November 2009 - 11:24 PM.

3939.png

#6 Wink

Wink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hello,
Thank you for the feed back and suggestions, much appreciated.
I am also looking at a Thermaltake VI1000 BMS.
DJBPace07, thanks for the heads up on RAM usage between 32 and 64 Bit OS, I was going with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit, but now I will get the 64-bit, I will have a good look at your other suggestions.
Have a good day,
Wink

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users