Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

back to xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dude54

dude54

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:31 AM

Last fall I bought a macbook and handed over my desktop (xp) to my family. I'm now getting back to using it and am finding that it is just crawling with spy ware and trojans. I know that my family barely used the machine but it has managed to catch some nasty bugs anyway.

Since I've been immersed in the mac world for the past year, I have not been keeping up to date with windows software. I would really appreciate if someone could give me some advice as to what is the best anti spy ware and anti virues available and any free ware that may be useful as well. Thank you very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:48 AM

There's some good info here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic272284.html

I currently use Comodo antivirus and firewall. Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware are good on-demand scanners.

All of the above are freeware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dude54

dude54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

thank you for that link, im currently using antivir but when i do a full system scan it promps me to restart my computer which is where the problem now lies. I get to the blue windows is shutting down... screen and then it never actually shuts down. it gets stuck on that screen. when i mnually turn it off everything ive done with antivir is lost. I've never had any kind of problem like this and am pretty lost as to what to do. do you have any more advice?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

I use Avira AntiVir.

If I understand you correctly...you do a full system scan, it finds some items. You eventually get to the screen where items are eliminated or stored in quarantine. Avira then says that it must reboot to remove certain items. System starts to boot...and just hangs.

I've never experienced a shutdown issue with AAV...but I would remove it via Add/Remove Programs...then install the latest version that is downloadable, promptly update same...and scan your system. My guess would be that some file is damaged, which prevents it from properly triggering the reboot.

http://www.free-av.com/en/trialpay_downloa..._antivirus.html. I suggest the Major Geeks website.

Scroll down to Shutdown Does Not Complete Or Hangs, for an idea of what might be happening: http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users