Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBR problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

Its me again,
My son keeps loading games and programs to "enhance" performance of the PC. I tell him that's a lie but yet he keeps doing it. He's eleven.
Went to his pc ( P4) to do my usual maintenance. Scan for malware , virus updates etc. Machine not coming on. It also not going into safe mode. It says boot file not found. I tried and tried. I have never used this technique, but I went online and several sites mentioned about repairing the MBR. I reviewed its success rate by surfing several comments from various sites and they all said they had success. My luck. I placed the Win Xp cd in, selected R and when I got the dos screen, typed in FIXMBR. It still does not boot ...and now when I check the drive its says its un-formatted and there is nothing there. That drive had many files and programs. Does fixing the MBR format the drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

System manufacturer and model?

FWIW: Most online instructions for repairing the MBR refer to using a Microsoft Genuine XP CD, not recovery/restore CDs furnished by the system manufacturer.

<<...and now when I check the drive...>>

And just what steps do you take to check the drive, if the system doesn't boot?

FWIW: The fixmbr command doesn't format anything, it rewrites the MBR. You need an install CD/mechanism to wipe a partition/hard drive, if that was the result.

<<It says boot file not found.>>

What are the exact words, please?

Does the system reflect the correct data/time in the BIOS?

How to access-enter Motherboard BIOS - http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

What is the first boot option specified in the BIOS?

Louis

#3 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

Thanks Hamluis...for the reply
Here is a more accurate detail of the incident.
1. The machine is a clone running with an ASRock K7S41GX board
2. Amd Atholon XP2000 Processor
3. Hard Drive - Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 8 ( 20 GB) - Jumper settings are Questionable???
4. On start up I get the Dos screen with all the machine particulars.
At the bottom I get " Searching for boot record from IDE- 0 - OK
That's as far as it goes.
The unit only responds to 2 dos commands on startup - F2 & F11
Neither are Safe Mode screens and I am unable to execute any other key to get anywhere. So basically I cannot access safe mode.
I looked online and saw the Fix MBR technique. I placed my XP Corporate CD in drive and let it boot from the CDrom. Choose R . It did not prompt me for Admin password ( though there is one). at the C\windows prompt I typed FIXMBR
Then typed "Y" and pressed enter.
restarted the unit without the CD in drive and.... nothing
"Searching for boot record from IDE- 0 -OK"

Took drive out placed it in another machine Biostar M7VIZ -ver 7.1 running the same version of XP, as a slave on IDE 0
Sees drive present but now its unformatted
System keeps asking me if to format Thus far I have not.
I am almost 99.98% sure that my files are there I am not risking that format route. It is my understanding that despite the failure that the files do still exist on the drive. Once I can retreve my files I will personally re-format or even Kill disk first. Like everyone else here I need my files
NB My XP version is just the OS. Its not the type you get with a system. Its a purchased Microsoft XP OS CD and it was loaded unto that MB without additional drivers and the unit worked to date

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

While the drive is installed as a slave on your other machine see if you can recover the data with this:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

Thanks Budapest...and everyone else.
I did not get through with Recuva but I tried Get Data Back for NTFS and it worked. I was able to recover what files I wanted and did a reformat for my son. Somehow I know I'll be doing this again :thumbsup: As usual you all were very helpful.
This post is closed

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

Glad you solved it, I find that Get Data Back works for me also. Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users