Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blackchaos93

blackchaos93

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

On the evening of Friday, November 20th at around 8:00 PM, I was using my Gateway laptop just fine and was playing Rome: Total War. I turned off the laptop and went home. I tried to boot up my laptop again at around 11:00 PM. Strangely enough, the screen hanged at the Windows Logo and then suddenly turned into the blue screen of death with an error message that said: unmountable boot volume.

I popped in my recovery CD. Everything looked like it was going normal, but then after pressing "R" to begin the recovery, the screen remained at the Gateway logo that said "please wait...".

I burned the ISO of the XP Recovery Console found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/, and attempted to use it. I tried a repair install but got the error message that said along the lines that a hard drive could not be detected.

Then I used a laptop hard drive adapter and tried to use it with my desktop computer. The hard drive could not be detected. I tried it with my other two computers and got the same problem.

I have a lot of important data that I have to salvage off this hard drive, and I'm out of ideas. I don't really care about getting the hard drive to work again but I just need the info. :thumbsup:
I hate my life :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:33 PM

If you are unable to get the drive to detect on a known good system its likely that the head crashed. This is usually a catastrophic failure and theres no comming back from the dead. There are data recovery companies that can install the HDD platters in a new enclosure and recover what files are readable but this is a VERY expensive option.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 blackchaos93

blackchaos93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:47 AM

:\ Can it be that something like this could happen to a hard drive that was fairly new? I just replaced it three months ago and it was working fine just two hours before the crash.
I hate my life :(

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

Yes its possible. If the hard drive is that new its likely under warranty, however they do not cover data recovery. Important data should be kept in more than one location. Hind site is always 20/20 :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users