Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ron31

ron31

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

Having trouble backing up files to my CD drive. In the past I have been able to right click on the file and send it to the CD drive. I have also been able to make DVDís to play on my DVD player through the TV. I have Memorex DVD-R and Memorex DVD-RW disks.

I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVD-109 . I have XP Home

Here is a picture of the message I get. Hope it works!!

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ron31

ron31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

I read on another forum that it is possible to delete my C.D. drive and it will reinstall itself when re booted. Is this possible?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 ron31

ron31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

Thank You. I will give it a try this evening. Maybe it will solve my problem. Thanks again!!

#5 ron31

ron31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

Did the uninstall/install but still doesn't work. Also tried the fix on another post I noticed here. That doesn't work either because I use Firefox

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:51 PM

What files do you have in this "Recipes" folder that seems to be causing the problem?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 ron31

ron31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:54 AM

What files do you have in this "Recipes" folder that seems to be causing the problem?

The Recipe file just happened to be the file that I used to show what message I get. The same message happens no matter what file I try to send to the C.D. Drive. This also happens when I try to make a DVD from My Pictures to play through the T.V. I have an external Hard Drive and there is no problems doing back up's to that. I was wondering if it would help to get an external DVD drive, or would the problem persist?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:05 AM

Try the fix given on this Microsoft page.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:34 AM

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/...e_e/dvr109.html

Perhaps unrelated but pioneer has a swap program it seems for problem drives not fixed by the firmware upgrade.

Can you burn with a third party program? Is your copy issue then only related to win xp cd/dvd native writing?
Can you cut n paste into the virtual folder created by xp that represents your DVD under the native driver?

Some dvd drives have to disable the native xp writing to use the higher speeds or duel layer burn. If you have a file called ramasst.exe on your computer it may indicate such a drive.
Note: ramasst has also been used by malware to hide itself.

Maybe I missed something.

#10 ron31

ron31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/...e_e/dvr109.html

Perhaps unrelated but pioneer has a swap program it seems for problem drives not fixed by the firmware upgrade.

Can you burn with a third party program? Is your copy issue then only related to win xp cd/dvd native writing?
Can you cut n paste into the virtual folder created by xp that represents your DVD under the native driver?

Some dvd drives have to disable the native xp writing to use the higher speeds or duel layer burn. If you have a file called ramasst.exe on your computer it may indicate such a drive.
Note: ramasst has also been used by malware to hide itself.

Maybe I missed something.

Thank you Ken in rainy Seattle ( I'm in Chilliwack B.C.)

Your talking to someone who is not an expert on computers. All I know is that what I used to do on this computer I can no longer do. I could back up to my CD Drive by right clicking the file and sending it to the drive. I also used Nero and had no problems. Another program I have is Simple Slide Show and that also no longer works. At one time I had a computer shop work on it and they said that they had ďmanagedĒ to get it to work.

If I use the download in the link on your post, which one would I use?

My CD drive is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVD - 109

I would buy an external DVD recorder if I thought it would work.

I have no problem backing up anything on my external hard drive but would like to be able to use the CD drive that came with the machine.

#11 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

Well they don't make it easy to choose the right firmware do they.

Let's not go to firmware at the moment. Since you indicate other programs do not work the same way as they did in the past, lets concentrate there. Firmware has to be burned carefully and the pioneer site makes some requirements that might be difficult for you to implement.

Lets concentrate on finding out what does work.
Nero info tools can sometimes indicate flaws in the drive itself or the drivers.
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/tools/InfoTool.zip

When you put a blank dvd in the drive does windows create an empty box at the drive letter in my computer that you can copy and paste files to burn into?

Can you do the same thing with a cd?
These functions should work if windows xp native burning is enabled.

Can you see a blank disk when you start up your third party cd burning software? Do you have any third party burning software? (nero, cdburnerxp)

If the problem is with the rightclick menu method but direct copy to the virtual dvd drive letter works then we go one way. If nothing will burn then we go another way.

Adding an external usb 2.0 drive is always a possibility and is a traditional simple troubleshooting tool. I have several including a dual layer dvd burner that runs entirely off usb power so I can use it an any of a dozen machines. Also, I test cd and dvd drives by putting them in a usb external case and try them on another computer.

As a precaution, since there is a possibility that some windows files might be damaged, can you download and run malwarebytes scanner and see if it finds anything other than tracking cookies?

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I realize you just want the functions you previously used to work, but the quick fix is elusive.

Try the above one by one and let's see what works and what doesn't.

#12 ron31

ron31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:21 PM

Thank You Ken- I'm not sure if I understand some of your instructions, but I will spend some time on them this evening. I did run Malwarebytes last night and everything came up clean.

Edited by ron31, 24 November 2009 - 02:21 PM.

#13 ron31

ron31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

This is what Nero Came up with;

Posted Image

#14 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

Looks ok on that tab, check the other and see if there is anything resembling an error indication.

If you need details of how to do a standard write to cd with xp's built in functions, look here.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article01-110

#15 ron31

ron31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:07 PM

Looks ok on that tab, check the other and see if there is anything resembling an error indication.

If you need details of how to do a standard write to cd with xp's built in functions, look here.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article01-110

Does any of this mean anything.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users