Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ADSL Modem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hannah9

hannah9

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

Can you use an ADSL Modem to connect to a dial up connection? I want to donate my modem to someone in a country where they only have dial up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

If dialup service is all that's available...what would be gained by connecting anything but a dialup modem?

ADSL is a paid service, requiring special equipment. The functionality without the service...doesn't exist.

A piece of equipment designed for Connection Type A...is of no value is the system only accommodates Connection Type B. The equipment item is of no value without the proper signal, in the proper way.

Louis

#3 hannah9

hannah9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

Please understand. I realize they won't use the features of the ADSL/wireless etc. If I had a dial up modem I would give it to them - I don't. But I do have my old ADSL modem. I simply want to know if one can use an ADSL modem to connect to a dial up connection. Of course they would not have the features of ADSL etc. I just want to know - can this modem be used to make the connection? Even though it would still be a slow dial up connection?

Edited by hannah9, 22 November 2009 - 04:52 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

No.

A dialup modem is constructed to receive dialup phone signals and properly pass such on to the system, while an ADSL modem is constructed to receive signals of a different type from a different source and communicate those to the system.

Most, if not every, computer system has a built-in dialup modem in it.

If not, you can simply purchase one for dialup connections and install it in the PC. These are dirt cheap, since they are considered obsolete technology by many.

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-003-_-Product

Louis

#5 hannah9

hannah9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

Thank you! :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:37 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users