Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to re-install XP - can I use XP/MCE OEM CDs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyLee

BobbyLee

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

I have a comparatively rare Japan-only subnotebook, a JVC MP-XP741 (aka ASUS S2Ne). It has just been rendered inoperable by malware, and I need to re-install XP Pro. The PC has a valid COA, and I have the sealed Japanese XP Pro CDs (obviously of little use.) I need XP Pro OEM to install using my COA, and hoping to save the $140, was wondering if I can use the XP Pro Media Center 2005 CDs I already have. I've read that MCE is just Pro running MCE as an application.

Any FHE or thoughts? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

An XP Pro license...is not an XP Home license...is not an MCE license...that's the way I think of it and I'm sure Microsoft shares my vision.

The only item which interchangeable between those versions...is the Recovery Console.

Louis

#3 BobbyLee

BobbyLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

My understanding is this:

A PC with a COA owns a copy of the OS that the COA states - whether or not the actual CDs accompany that PC.

An unbranded (Dell, HP, etc.) set of OEM (not retail) CDs for that same OS may be legally used to install that OS on the COA-bearing machine, provided the COA key is used during the install.

This understanding has been confirmed to me by Dynamism, the company that originally sold this particular subnotebook. BTW, they do the above every day to notebooks they purchase in Japan which run Japanese OSs.

My question then is, since my XP Pro Media Center 2005 CDs are OEM, can they (not may they) be used to install just XP Pro, leaving out the Media Center application?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

What I have suggested to you...is that, at the point where the license key must be entered...you want to enter a license key for XP Pro to install MCE.

If you think it will work...try it.

Personally, I don't see how you can stop an install of MCE from a set of MCE CDs...but if you manage to do so successfully, let us know. I've never seen an XP install CD that has optional installing of Windows components. I don't have either version of MCE.

All my licenses have been the start...files are copied...enter license...install happens...type.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users