Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse and Keyboard won't load

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

I had a wireless Logitec mouse/keyboard combo on my daughters computer. WAY too soon, the mouse crapped out, completely non functional (yes i checked the batteries lol). Now i cannot get any type of mouse or keyboard to work. The logitec keyboard works, but after logging in to the admin account from boot, it's useless. All I can get it to do is CTR ALT DEL where I can then use the arrow keys to manipulate it to shut down.

When I get to the admin account from boot, the found new hardware wizard pops up which would allow me to let XP install drivers (I'm just trying to use a generic mouse and keyboard at this point), but I don't know how to manipulate the cursor to get it to start using just the keyboard. No other mouse or keyboard will load.

I tried using a Dell XP re-install disk (it's a dell but I don't remember if I used the dell disk to install the XP) and do a repair. However, all it will do is give me the C: prompt. I also noticed after I tried that on the disk it says it doesn't install drivers anyways. I've never done a repair, or much of anything with XP, I kinda skipped that OS lol. I know how to do Vista, but obviously it is way different. Any idears? I really don't want to re-install the OS or get another OS for the thing, I'm building her a new computer for Christmas and am going to put Win7 on that one, i certainly don't want to buy a copy of Win7 to use on a Pent4 for a month lol only to have to buy it again to put on the new computer.............

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

Try using the tab key to move around!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

Now the logitech keyboard is dead so I can't try tab. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to say thanks for the suggestion old phil...... sorry and THANKS.

Edited by DeathStalker, 23 November 2009 - 02:46 PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

Now the logitech keyboard is dead so I can't try tab. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to say thanks for the suggestion old phil...... sorry and THANKS.

Check you machine it should still have round PS2 mouse and key board jacks in back, if I am right I would borrow an old key board and mouse then you can do what every you want.

Edited by OldPhil, 23 November 2009 - 03:33 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

As OldPhil said hook up a old PS2 if you can. Then remove logitec from your computer and reload it with the logitec disc or let windows find it and load it. Logitec web site helps some times and some times not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users