Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is stuck in a reboot cycle after malware removal

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 emblaze

emblaze

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

After having a malware problem, I followed all of the steps that I was given here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic269957-15.html

Now after the OTC reboot, it's stuck in a loop & I have to confess I'm slightly panicked about it...

My computer had rebooted late last night and was fine & then this morning, it went wonky & wouldn't start properly. It flashes really quickly on a blue screen with about half a page of text that disappears in about a half second, so I can't read it at all & then loops back to the black start up screen.

Please help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Let's see what we can try...system manufacturer and model?

Do you have access to the Recovery Console tools on your system?

Do you have a MS Genuine XP install CD?

Do you have restore/recovery CDs?

Laptop or desktop?

Louis

#3 emblaze

emblaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

It's a Gateway Model MX7533, serial # N3268 J10 32863

Yes, to the Recovery Console.

Somewhere, I would assume I have the XP CD, but I don't know exactly where, as I have moved several times since getting the computer.

& as to a restore/recovery CD, I, naturally, didn't back up my computer. I am already flogging myself wholeheartedly.

It's a laptop.

Please tell me Christmas isn't ruined forever...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/MICR...7509595rc.shtml

If you can access the Recovery Console...I would try running the chkdsk /r command. Note the space between the k and /.

Louis

#5 emblaze

emblaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

Volume created 08/08/06 11:54p
The volume serial number is b4f5-bcf8
CHKDSK is checking the volume...
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery...
53978396 kilobytes total disk space.
4688652 kilobytes are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
13494599 total allocation units on disk.
1172163 allocation units available on disk.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

Does the system boot properly?

Can you boot into safe mode?

You may have to type Exit to reboot the system from the RC.

Louis

#7 emblaze

emblaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

No, I just tried, & it's still looping.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:27 PM

OK, next attempt coming :thumbsup:.

Rather than have me list a number of things, I have a thread where a number of ideas were trying to solve a similar situation. In particular, I suggest following the comments of Quietman, but the other comments are also valid.

We've already tried the chkdsk /r, which worked for that poster...but there are other alternatives :flowers:.

Louis

#9 emblaze

emblaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for your attempts so far...I'm trying to breathe through my nervous breakdown...

Can you post a link to the thread you're referring to, so I can at least get some background on things?

Thank you.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:46 PM

My apologies...I intended to post it in my last post, guess my AllTimers kicked in :thumbsup:.

Stuck In A Loop - The Elder Geek on Windows XP - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27790

Louis

#11 emblaze

emblaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

I have to admit, I'm getting a little nervous about trying a gazillion things...

But I was wondering, is it useful that I can get to the BIOS Setup Utility at startup?

I really don't want to lose everything on my hard drive...

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

Well...there's nothing in the BIOS itself that has anything to do with a reboot loop (normally), IMO.

The BIOS reflects hardware items and system settings...while a reboot loop indicates a problem with the system files loading properly...or a hardware problem.

As you can see...it's pretty difficult to determine what is the cause of the reboot loop, which consequently makes it difficult to determine how to overcome it.

The one thing that has not been mentioned...involves removing the hard drive and attaching it as a secondary drive to another system...and then moving the data files which you value.

Among the hardware items which can cause such (IMO)...would be hard drive problems or partition problems. Chkdsk /r counteracts/overcomes some of these, but not all.

It's hard to go forward without any clues or error messages...and be unable to boot into Windows in any mode.

Louis

#13 emblaze

emblaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

I may just have to take it to a repair place here in NYC...

Know any trust-worthy ones?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:41 AM

Well...I don't, but a few words of consideration.

a. Find out how much a diagnosis is going to cost. These are usually flat fee, prices vary.

b. Get a clear, concise description of what is deemed to be wrong...how they are going to overcome it...and what steps they will take to save your data files.

c. If components are replaced...find out why and how much before you agree to such. The costs of systems has diminshed greatly in comparison to the cost of repairing, IMO.

d. Implement a backup strategy for your system, one which will avoid the prospect of disaster when the system goes down.

Minds with more experience and intelligence than mine...frequent this forum (and other forums). Before committing to spending dollars, I suggest seeing if ideas which don't involve a hands-on...are available.

Louis

#15 emblaze

emblaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

I found a place that does a free diagnostic, so I can choose what to do after they look at it.

Since I work from home, my computer is my livelihood, hence my slight panic at the thought of having lost my files...

& while I trust everyone on this forum, if it gets too complicated, I don't trust myself!

I'll keep you posted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users