Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game Programs Minimizing For No Apparent Reason

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:04 PM

I have an HP Pavilion desktop PC with Windows XP Home SP3.

For the past several days, my wife has been experiencing an interesting problem. She enjoys playing some of the simpler PC games, like "Scrabble" and "Bejeweled" to name a couple.

While she is playing these games (any of them; they all do this), about every 20 minutes or so, the game will suddenly go black, then minimize from full-screen mode ("true" full-screen mode, not even the task bar shows on the screen during play), to the desktop. She then clicks on the game's tab in the task bar, and the game comes back up in "paused" mode, and she then must click the "resume game/play" button to continue.

I am trying to figure out what is causing this, and would appreciate any assistance.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

I would take a look in Event Viewer for errors noted which approximate these nuisances.

My guess would be that these games may be 16-bit (I've play Bejeweled & Scrabble before but that was on Win 9x systems)...or there is simply file corruption in the games.

Or there is a problem with the video drivers and these games...in which case I would uninstall the current video drivers and then reinstall them.

Hard to say, but uninstalling/reinstalling the video drivers won't hurt anything.

Louis

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:38 AM

Thank you for the suggestion.

I had no idea how to reinstall a driver, so it took a while (I had to research), but I got it done. Unfortunately, it did not correct the problem.

I should also note that my wife has been playing these games trouble-free for years, until just recently.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I neglected to mention: I saw no entries listed as an error in the event viewer for yesterday. As yesterday was Sunday, my wife did play her games for some time, and had the incident occur at least 3 or 4 times.

Edited by rlprlp, 23 November 2009 - 07:45 AM.

#4 NOTSOperfectworld

NOTSOperfectworld

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

I have just started getting the exact same problems playing perfect world, i am told it could be the nvidia driver but after rolling back and reinstalling latest drivers, i still have the same problem. Running in windowed mode rather than full screen doesnt do it. Have you resolved the issue yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users