Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google redirected - uniqsearch8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#16 tom_rand

tom_rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:31 PM

I've gone into safe mode before, so I'm comfortable with the F8 approach. There's no new hardware here.

When doing the AV scans last week the recommendation was to turn off system restore in order to avoid having the virii restored. When I go into system restore now, the old restore savepoints are not shown.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

Hi,,
I thought your previous post stated you cannot get into safe mode,so I posted my reply. Also I did not recommend you to turn off system restore as I would have done it last and told you to set a new point.
But here we are..
Refresh me on the situation. redirects are gone and safe mode is now usable?
Do you still have other issues?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#18 tom_rand

tom_rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

Sorry if my post was confusing, my bad.

I have gone into safe mode previously on this machine, most recently probably two weeks ago when I started this whole AV cleaning process. I am now unable to go into safe mode. I am assuming this is due to either the virii or due to my earlier attempts to clean things out.

Since I have not added new hardware during this time and I'd like to avoid doing a full reinstall, my proposed steps would be to edit the msconfig file to disable services that are loaded on startup, or find the original install disk and do a Repair.

I can boot into Normal mode, and the redirects are gone. The only remaining issue is the Safe mode boot issue.

#19 tom_rand

tom_rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

fwiw, ran a full chkdsk/f with no change to the system behavior.

The safe boot always fails at the same point, when it is loading d347bus.sys.

#20 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

Hi Tom, no problem..
Have three ideas..
If you use Daemon tools.. I belive that is where this is from,d347bus.sys...
move the daemon tools files from programme files to my documents and reboot.

Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.

This Maybe??
We need to repair some of windows' internal registration settings
  • Please download Dial-A-Fix from one of the following mirrors:
  • Extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Double click Dial-a-Fix.exe to start the program.
  • Press the green double checkmark box (Looks like this: Posted Image)
  • UNcheck "Empty Temp Folders", as well as "Adjust Time/Date" in the prep section. The prep section should then look like this:
    Posted Image
  • When the window looks like this, press the GO button in the bottom of the window.
    Posted Image
  • Exit/Close Dial-A-Fix

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#21 tom_rand

tom_rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

Used Daemon once, about 2 years ago as part of a corp distribution. I'll pursue. Thanks again for all the help.

#22 tom_rand

tom_rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

Deinstalled daemon. Still getting the blue screen, right after it completes with agp440.sys.

#23 tom_rand

tom_rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

DialaFix doesn't seem to like IE8:

IE8 is working - I used it for this post - but I got the same errors via dialaifix for mshtml, inseng, etc. Still no go on the safe mode boot, but normal mode is working.

#24 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:11 PM

Looks like we need Recovery Console.
Our Tutorial on this is here How to install and use the Windows XP Recovery Console

Boot from your Windows XP ,Press R for Recovery Console.
Recovery Console looks similar to a standard command prompt it is not the same.
Now run Chkdsk /p ...a space between k and /
Type exit and it reboots the computer

Now run chkdsk again from Windows, now that you are at the desktop.
Click on Start, Run and type chkdsk /f /r .. again spaces before both /
Now type y when prompted
Reboot the pc and allow the chkdsk to run again.

#25 tom_rand

tom_rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

Done all of the above - the sfc check, the chkdsks from the XP SP2 boot disk, the second chkdsk. No change in behavior; the safe mode option still blue screens after the agp440 load.

I run rkill after each startup. It gives me the little DOS window while it's running, then the screen icons disappear and then redraw themselves. Does that behavior indicate a problem or is it the standard behavior?

#26 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

Well my friend I am down to these. You may be better served now by asking the brains in the XP forum. They should know a few more intricasies. As I can only suggest a Repair or full install of your OS.

#27 tom_rand

tom_rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for all of your help and your patience. I appreciate all your efforts. Have a great holiday season.

#28 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:26 PM

You're welcome and thank you!.. Wishing you and yours a healthy season.

#29 Navlam

Navlam

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

Hello all,

Well apparently 'uniqsearch8' has also taken over my computer. I am fortunate to have found this thread. I have tried and tried to install MBAM to no avail. Kept getting the same error msg. So I tried the renaming of it, and it still doesn't work.

Are you guys saying to rename the installation file to zztoy.exe? or just to zztoy? either way, i still cannot install MBAM, and apparently need to....

Hoping someone can help me...

#30 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

Hello have you run RKill prior to MBAM?
RKill....

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
You will need to run the application again if rebooting the computer occurs along the way.

You changed it to zztoy.exe or navlam.exe for that matter, before saving to desktop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users