Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't connect to router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 floydhead73

floydhead73

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:30 AM

Quite a while back, our 2wire 2701hg-b stopped functioning. So we sent for another one, and we received it promptly. Much to my surprise, I learnt that the 2wire also functions as a wireless router. We already had a linksys wrt54g wireless router beforehand, and it functioned just fine. It was through this router that my laptop connected to the internet. However, after I had installed the new 2wire modem, I began experiencing problems. Every once in a while I would have to take my laptop upstairs into the room with the router to get it to connect to the internet. Eventually, this became very frustrating, and I changed the 2wire's settings somehow (I believe I tried to alter the WEP settings to get my laptop to connect to it, which didn't work). Now my laptop can't connect to either. My kind of info do you need to find out what the problem is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

Which do you want to use? The 2Wire? or the Linksys?

What is the model of the 2Wire?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 slarabee

slarabee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

Your problem cannot be addressed without the following.

What is the model of the replacement 2Wire?

The newer ones are crap in my opinion.

I have an old 1000HG and it functions flawlessly.

Recently the power supply dies and ATT had to ship me a replacement.

They sent me a 2700hg-b and the first thing I noted was that if it senses heavy traffic (for example during torrent downloads) a "hit" will come from ATT's DHCP server and it will go up and down like a $2.00 whore, renewing it's lease all day.

The reason behind this of course is to discourage inexperienced users from P2P file sharing.

That said my 2700hg-b maintains a pretty solid wireless signal.

My only question for you is this;

Can your linksys wrt54g utilize WAP?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

If so disable wireless in your 2Wire 2700hg-b.

If the setup is standard, 192.168.1.1/24 (192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0) network that come plug inplay on 2Wire just open your browser and go to 192.168.1.254 and enter your password to log into the router.

I know you probably already know that. But I start from scratch. :flowers:

Click> Home Network.

Click the disable button next to wireless.

Then set up your WRT54G as it were receiving it's IP instructions from a DHCP server (as if it was answering to an ISP)

Consult the user guide.

I have been looking for the UG for your wrt54gs the problem is that Cisco is making Linksys docs hard to find these days. Got to push the Cisco ASA series you know. :thumbsup:

Best I can do is: http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/b...message.id=3153

and wish you luck.

However from a networking stand point the most un-complicated thing to do is disable wireless on the 2Wire and let it handle the ISP auth processes and DHCP services only.

Then set up your dependable wireless access point (the linksys) to get it's info from the 2wire.

If you send me the models (and PDF manual for your linksys) I wil give you precise instructions that will work.

I hope this gives you a starting point.

Sean

#4 floydhead73

floydhead73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

My router is a Linksys WRT54 ver. 8
PDF from Linksys site: http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downlo...RT54G-v5_ug.pdf
My modem is a 2wire 2701h-b
PDF: http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/5100-000326-000.Rev.A.pdf

I haven't done anything yet, because whenever I try to access the web utility for my linksys, the address doesn't work.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:00 PM

My advice would be to take the Linksys out of the loop. Just use the 2Wire. Set the 2Wire's wireless security and the wireless security on the laptop to the same and see if it connects upstairs. The issue might be you have 2 competing wireless connections and they are interfering with one another.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 floydhead73

floydhead73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:49 PM

How, exactly do I do that? I'm afraid I might do something wrong again and mess everything up. Running Windows XP on PC and laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users