Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe using constant 50% cpu

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 emccormack

emccormack

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hi thanks in advance to anyone taking their time to read this,
I am trying to fix a relatives computer and have come across this problem with the svchost.exe using 50% of cpu. I am unable to use many of windows features without them hanging indefinitely such as task manager, system restore center, windows update, and avg update which was installed on the computer previously. By using process explorer I was able to see the svchost that using all the resources seems legit, it runs DHCP client(Dhcp), Windows Audio (audiosrv), Windows Event Log (eventlog), and Security Center (wscsvc). None of these processes will shut down through process explorer, it says error opening process:access denied. I am at a bit of a loss here not sure if this is a malware issue or not. I have run malwarebytes as well as spybot but with no results. I included the rootrepeal and DDS reports with the attachments.

Thank you for any help,
Eric

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 emccormack

emccormack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

Seems that windows event log viewer was the culprit while I could not stop the service I was able to disable it from starting after a reboot cpu usage is back to normal. Windows update found 91 important updates gotta love relatives. If a mod wants to move this to the appropriate section I'd still be interested if anyone knows why the event log is eating up that much cpu, assuming it doesn't solve itself with all the updates that is.

#3 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:34 AM

Hello,
Do you still desire help? Please outline your current problems and inform me of what you have done since your last post.
Kind regards,
~ t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#4 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:41 AM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users