Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot get out of the restart loop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gringorjones

gringorjones

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:05 PM

I have the same problem (though not with the same cause) and I've tried everything possible I can find, but to no avail. I cannot get out of the restart loop, all options lead to the BSOD.

I'm not sure if this is connected, but I got Antivirus pro today. After a lot of messing around I think I managed to get rid of it (Malwarebytes removed some stuff but seemingly not antivirus pro, so I ran Combofix as a last resort - seemed to work tho it generated no log...just to check the state of my computer I've also run AVG and windows onecare safety scanner - all coming back clean).

Then a windows automatic update installed and made me restart. But it's just not possible to restart it - none of the options (safe mode, last good point, safe mode with command etc) are working. The BSOD brings up an 07b error.

The laptop was a gift from a friend who'd had it a few years. She didnt mention this problem to me and I've not had it before in my few months of ownership. I'm running XP home (auth version as far as I know) on a Vaio laptop, the only problem with it is that the disk drive doesnt work so it's not possible to do any sort of reboot from disk.

Please please say that there's something else I can do.

Someone on here mentionned that its possible to remove a bit of the computer and plug it into another one but I'm really not that tech-savvy. On-screen stuff I can handle, but unscrewing the computer or connecting it to other ones is beyond me. I do have a friend who's good with computers though, so if the only option is something way beyond me then post the answer and I'll get him to do it. I'd love to get this sorted ASAP tho.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:01 AM

I got Antivirus pro today. After a lot of messing around I think I managed to get rid of it (Malwarebytes removed some stuff but seemingly not antivirus pro, so I ran Combofix as a last resort - seemed to work tho it generated no log...just to check the state of my computer I've also run AVG and windows onecare safety scanner ......
Then a windows automatic update installed and made me restart.

From the time that you first noticed "Antivirus Pro" to the time you installed the Window's update, during all that time did you re-start the computer and if so, exactly when did it last re-start in relation to the various scans that have been run?. It would be helpful to pinpoint which of the steps you took that may be responsible for the problem of not being able to boot the computer into Windows.

Re: MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware)
When did you install this program and when did you last update it (the malware definitions)? Did you choose to update it before you ran the scan?

Do you have a record or do you remember any of the details of what malware was removed, or what updates were installed by Windows?

Re: the BSOD brings up an 07b error
Is there any other pertinent information displayed that might indicate the nature of the error (sometimes there may be, but often not)?

Try the following ...
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen. Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key. The computer will attempt to load Windows.
If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 gringorjones

gringorjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:11 AM

Yesterday AM I had antivirus pro. I downloaded rkill (think it was the .scr that worked though dont quote me on that) and also downloaded MBAM for the first time ever. I ran the short scan option and that came up with three issues, one I recall as being a trojan, but I dont remember all the details. I did a restart and still had antivirus pro, I had to download rkill again to get it to work and then I ran the full MBAM scan but it brought up nothing. Then I went for CF, which restarted the computer itself but created no log. Immediately after that I ran oncecare safety scanner and AVG started itself up. When both of those had finished (with no viruses found), I clicked on the little yellow shield in the taskbar and it had 3 updates (dont know what they were, but the shield had just appeared yesterday afternoon). It had to restart to complete installation, and it was during the restart that the problems happened.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier, after MBAM didnt work, I first downloaded Computer Doctor (found in Google sponsored links), but the screen it brought up couldnt be clicked on. After I ran all the scans I removed it using add/removed programs.

I tried all last night to find an option that would open and then I've turned it off and tried again this morning...even within the f8 option nothing will start up.

The BSOD says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for ciruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8959528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:40 AM

From your description of events, it would seem that the Windows update(s) are most likely to be the cause of the boot problem. It is possible to un-install the relevant updates using the Recovery Console. If that doesn't work for what-ever reason, try an off-line System Restore using the Recovery Console to get your system back up and running again. It appears you have access to another computer and will be able to do the following ....

Download a copy of the XP Recovery Console
http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Burn the .ISO image to CD using something like ImgBurn, clicking on "Burn Image": The CD should now be bootable.
Download ImgBurn from here ...
http://www.imgburn.com/

To start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP CD (or an XP Recovery Console .ISO image that has been burned to CD), do the following:1. Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.

2. Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press the ENTER key. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press ENTER.

5. You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press ENTER.

6. You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
Step 1
Try this first:
How to uninstall a hotfix or Service Pack via the Recovery Console ?
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/spuninst.htm

Step 2
Follow the instructions in the following article if you don't have success with the Windows update un-installation ...
System Restore from Recovery Console
http://2pure.net/index.php?session=0&a...icle=1150238652
(there are some minor errors in the presentation, but the important parts are correct)

Please work carefully and deliberately, one step at a time: It is possible that you could be thwarted at any stage.
If you experience any problem with any step of the procedure, please stop, and post a description/question.
***Please be very exact with reading and typing the commands. They MUST be EXACTLY CORRECT, spaces and all.

Please post if you have any problems along the way.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 gringorjones

gringorjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:43 AM

The main problem is that the disk drive doesnt work on my infected laptop, it never has in the few months that I've had it, it doesnt evem register that disks are in it.

Is there any way to do it without needing a disk?

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:57 AM

The main problem is that the disk drive doesnt work on my infected laptop, it never has in the few months that I've had it, it doesn't even register that disks are in it.
Is there any way to do it without needing a disk?

Sorry about my over-sight there: That was careless of me.

Hmmm ..... now that is making things difficult! What about using a bootable USB flashdrive? That may be possible?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 gringorjones

gringorjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:06 AM

Any idea how much space I'll need, I probably have a little pen-drive around somewhere....and will imgburn let me do it or do I need to go somewhere else?

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:16 AM

Any idea how much space I'll need, I probably have a little pen-drive around somewhere....and will imgburn let me do it or do I need to go somewhere else?

I am googling xp recovery console boot usb drive now. Plenty of results to look at, so it is possible.

I think this is one site that I have used
http://tuts4tech.net/2009/07/14/creating-a...covery-console/
(and sitting on my desk looking at me ... I have a USB flashdrive labeled "Bootable XP Recovery Console" !!! Damn, I must be getting tired .... and I must be off shortly)

I just can't access that website at the moment, but you give it a try. As I recall it was quite simple to create, and it does work for me, as I have used it several times. I am not sure of the exact size requirement, but it is small <10MB ? so any available flashdrive should do the job.
(The downloadable Recovery Console .ISO is only 7MB in size)
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 gringorjones

gringorjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:23 AM

Oh no wait. I thought the disk was worth a try and it seems to be loading. I'll get back to you if this doesnt work.

#10 gringorjones

gringorjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:44 AM

The hotfix process didnt work. I only found one vaguely relevant file (dated 2 days before the problem), and removing that had no effect.

I'm now trying the second method you suggested, but I'm having a problem.

I'm in recovery mode and this is what my screen looks like:

Microsoft Windows XP<TM> Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.

Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the conputer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
<To cancel, press ENTER>? 1
C:\WINDOWS>cd..
The command is not recognized Type HELP for a list of supported commands.

C:\WINDOWS>

What shoudl be in place of cd.. ?

#11 gringorjones

gringorjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:04 AM

Update:

After googling around I found instructions here (http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Windows/C:%5Cwindows%5Csystem32%5Cconfig%5Csystem_missing_or_corrupt.html) that seemed to be aiming at the same thing as this link (http://2pure.net/index.php?session=0&action=read&click=open&article=1150238652) you suggested.

Problem:

C:\Windows>CD C:\system~1\_resto~1
leads to 'Access is denied'

Another site recommended the alternative would be:

cd "C:\System Volume Information"
but that also leads to 'Access is denied'

I'm out of ideas, please help.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

C:\WINDOWS>cd..
The command is not recognized Type HELP for a list of supported commands.

C:\WINDOWS>

What shoudl be in place of cd.. ?

Sorry for the delay: My internet connection has been out of order.

You quoted:
"6. We will now have to change directory to the system restore directory. First type cd.. and then cd system~1 to get to the system restore directory."

I see there is a mistake in the instructions ....

To change the directory back one level you need to type cd ..
There is a space between cd and the two dots.

Edit: Step 8 should fix the "Access denied" problem.
Try that again.

Edited by AustrAlien, 22 November 2009 - 09:01 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users