Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosts file XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:41 AM

Hello guys

On my windows xp machine, i have just updated the hosts file.
Now i thought i would add a few mapped ip address, but how can i tell if its using the host file to do this.
Is there anything to look out for in the status bar.

there may be a very slight difference in loading times, but if there's a way to tell, so i can be sure its using the hosts file to do this
Its just a test really to see if it does "shave" the odd second or two loading web pages that you have mapped.

Edited by AMBER LEAF999, 22 November 2009 - 01:44 AM.

TOSHIBA LAPTOP L300-1BV/ WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP2 / 2 GB RAM/ 32 BIT /windows 7 vista home premium, 3GB Ram/ 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:47 AM

Make sure you have the DNS Service running on your XP machine and it will force local DNS resolution before looking for a DNS Server

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:36 AM

If you are trying to use the hosts file to speed things up, I do not know how you can measure the time with and without yssing the hosts file, but you can certainly tell if the hosts file is being looked at or not.

For me, if I ping www.yahoo.com I get back an IP address of 69.147.114.224

To see if my hosts file is even being looked at, I will use the hosts file to map that IP address for www.yahoo.com to www.google.com using my hosts file. I will map it wrong on purpose.

I add an entry like:

69.147.114.224 www.google.com

Now if I click the Google link in my browser bookmarks bar (Chrome) where behind the scenes I know the URL for that bookmark is http://www.google.com/, I better end up on Yahoo! instead.

Hey - it works! My Google bookmark takes me to Yahoo!

I know it is using the hosts file now, but is it faster? That I don't know how to measure.

Edited by joseibarra, 22 November 2009 - 07:38 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

Make sure you have the DNS Service running on your XP machine and it will force local DNS resolution before looking for a DNS Server

OK syscorpsecure, yeah fogot i had turned DNS off, due to the fact, i hered if you have a large host file, turn this service off, but looking now i'am not sure it makes any difference.
This hosts file is 601(KB) i am not sure but i think this is rather large, from what i have read.

Not sure i understand it though, i don't notice any difference with the DNS Service on or off...

If you are trying to use the hosts file to speed things up, I do not know how you can measure the time with and without yssing the hosts file, but you can certainly tell if the hosts file is being looked at or not.

To see if my hosts file is even being looked at, I will use the hosts file to map that IP address for www.yahoo.com to www.google.com using my hosts file. I will map it wrong on purpose.

I add an entry like:

69.147.114.224 www.google.com

Now if I click the Google link in my browser bookmarks bar (Chrome) where behind the scenes I know the URL for that bookmark is http://www.google.com/, I better end up on Yahoo! instead.

Hey - it works! My Google bookmark takes me to Yahoo!

I know it is using the hosts file now, but is it faster? That I don't know how to measure.

If i do this i get " 209.131.36.158 " how does that work out.
And if i ping " yahoo.com " i get 209.131.36.159 " but this is at a 25% loss. it was at 0% loss yesterday

Can say "www.yahoo.com" use more that one IP address, or any other large web-site, how do you get all of these IP address

But Anyway windows is using the host file, just tryed what you suggested, but as you said , how to measure it.
There just might one or two milliseconds OR nano seconds quicker.
TOSHIBA LAPTOP L300-1BV/ WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP2 / 2 GB RAM/ 32 BIT /windows 7 vista home premium, 3GB Ram/ 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users