Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to uninstall Ubuntu 9.04?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:42 AM

Hi guys,

I need your help. I need to uninstall Ubuntu 9.04 from my computer... completely.

Ubuntu 9.04 is assigned as a primary OS on my computer. Nothing works, when I try to boot from a Windows XP CD. I need to press ESC when booting up, and it takes me to a console with 3 options on how to boot up an Ubuntu... pressing "c" brings me to a command line, where no Windows commands are applicable.

I've browsed a little on the internet, and found out, that it's all in Ubuntu's GRAB... that doesn't lets Windows' MBR to work (at least, that's how I've understood).

So, if someone knows and can help, I would be really appreciated.

Thx,
rhino1366

Edited by rhino1366, 22 November 2009 - 03:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:04 AM

3:30 past... any suggestions?

Thx,
rhino

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:14 AM

Using the Windows XP CD, boot the recovery console and issue the fixboot command. Reboot.

#4 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:40 AM

I might be wrong, but I think it can't access to a Windows XP CD, even when I reboot and are pressing ESC several times... only Ubuntu choices of a boot, and Ubuntu's command line (with Ubuntu commands).

What should I do?

Thx,
rhino

#5 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:28 AM

Will an Ubuntu 9.10 CD work as a boot CD? What command should I assign to format a whole HDD? Also... how long it'll take to do so (formatting) with a 500 GB HDD?

Thx,
rhino

Edited by rhino1366, 25 November 2009 - 01:37 AM.

#6 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:46 AM

Question:

Do you have more than one operating system you're trying to run?

I have the following operating systems installed - all on different partitions but on the same hard drive:
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 2008 Server R2
  • Fedora Linux
  • Ubuntu Linux 9.10
Everything plays nice together. You have to install in this order:

If you have any version of Windows you want to use, always install Windows Vista FIRST!!! The Vista bootloader will make sure all of your editions of Windows remain bootable.

If you install Linux, install Ubuntu LAST!!! Ubuntu will play nice with the Vista bootloader and you should have a choice under "Other Operating Systems" to choose the Windows Vista Loader, which will manage your boot into any version of Windows you want.

If you still want to uninstall Ubuntu and save your versions of Windows, then you need to reinstall Vista and boot into the System Recovery options. Let Vista rewrite the Master Boot Record. Then you can delete the Ubuntu partition when you reboot into Vista (or another version of Windows).

If you do not have Vista installed and need to restore the XP (or other version of Windows) bootloader, post back with the version of Windows you want to recover and I'll help you.

#7 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:02 AM

Thx, syscorpsecure... I like your posts / how you're posting... very informative! :thumbsup:

Well, by hearing all that, I've came to an opinion, that something wrong did my system builders've made...

If to install Ubuntu 9.04 as a primary OS ain't correct - I should provide you with more info. and we should inspect the situation a little bit better...

As have been mentioned before - I'm a very new to Linux / Linux distros / Ubuntu. So, how can I access the system information centre of Ubuntu 9.04, to find out what partitions (if applicable) did my system builders have made. Oh yes, I also need it to be assured, that all the hardware I've requested is applied into my "box".

About what you're asking... I want to recover / install as a main OS - Windows XP (Pro SP1a; from an old notebook PC). By my guesses, we should, somehow, access the right command line and enter the command to run a whole HDD formatting... :flowers:

Anyway, thanks for your active support in my problem'd case.

P.S. Does Windows Vista's bootloader even more efficient, than Windows 7'th one?
P.P.S. From what I know, Windows Vista's "internal number/ID" is 6.0, and Windows 7'th one is 6.1. ... :trumpet:

Thx again,
rhino

#8 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:17 AM

Glad to help.

If you've got the Ubuntu 9.04 cd, boot from it and choose the option to try Ubuntu without making changes to your system. When it asks you for a username and password, simply press enter for both (leave them blank). You'll get a GUI version of Ubuntu which looks just like the installed version.

Under the System menu - choose Partition Editor. It'll show you all of your partitions on the hard drive. Just don't try to access any of your windows partitions yet. Linux can't read windows partitions without special drivers.

Usually your Windows partitions should show up as NTFS, Linux will be Ext 2, 3, 4 or Swap.

#9 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:44 AM

No... actually, I don't have an Ubuntu 9.04 install CD (if not counting here a local IT magazine's DVD with Ubuntu 9.04, that I buy regulary). Istead, I have an Ubuntu 9.10 install CD, that I've made yesterday, by downloading Ubuntu from a main page.

About "restoring" Windows XP, as I've said... it's not a restoring, I just want to make a clean install of it as a main OS... my new Ubuntu PC never had nothing except of Ubuntu 9.04 preinstalled on it.

As of what you've advices - I have no "no's", but how about an easier way of checking the things (including proper hardware inside)? Sorry for lying, but the Ubuntu 9.10 install CD isn't ready, yet. The thing, is that I ran out of CDs/DVDs, and the only one left - is a TDK DVD+RW, that writes somehow / a little bit strange. I can see a traces of a write, but can't read it no how. I'll try again, right now...

Also... my NEC DVD+/-RW drive aren't capable to write something from Ubuntu! It was "stuck", and I was pretty scared at that moment, that my new-new drive would mess up. What the heck? :flowers:

Thx, very much,
rhino

*** Also, how to reformat videos, with using VLC MP (I've got it)... can't find the way... grrrr... ***

Edit: My enough powerful int. HD 3200 can't even represent the most basical 3D graphics properly (smoothly), like Ubuntu's screensavers... should I enable an official (patented) ATI driver? Thx.
Edit2: Stupid question, but still... does Ubuntu 9.10 install CD includes any drivers? For whole comp.? Thx again... sorry. :thumbsup:

Edited by rhino1366, 25 November 2009 - 02:50 AM.

#10 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:31 AM

Anyway... it'll be a great thing, to remove and then install Ubuntu 9.10 on my own, with my preferences and options... because I want a full control of my new PC.

Actually, I've had an experience, on how to install OSs, like Windows XP before. I was installing it several times (sometimes, in a row... lol). And, if Ubuntu wants to attract some people worldwide - I'm sure, that its installation interface (or look) and process is pretty similar to what I've seen, during the same process with XP.

*** BUMP *** What took you so long? Any thoughts?

Thx in advance, mate...
rhino

Edit: The main problem for me here (with installing / reinstalling) - is DRIVERZ. :thumbsup:

Edited by rhino1366, 25 November 2009 - 03:34 AM.

#11 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

Hello? :thumbsup:

#12 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:58 PM

Be patient! In the US, this is Thanksgiving weekend. People are traveling or spending time with their families. Folks will respond as they choose.

#13 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:17 AM

Anyway... it'll be a great thing, to remove and then install Ubuntu 9.10 on my own, with my preferences and options... because I want a full control of my new PC.

Actually, I've had an experience, on how to install OSs, like Windows XP before. I was installing it several times (sometimes, in a row... lol). And, if Ubuntu wants to attract some people worldwide - I'm sure, that its installation interface (or look) and process is pretty similar to what I've seen, during the same process with XP.

*** BUMP *** What took you so long? Any thoughts?

Thx in advance, mate...
rhino

Edit: The main problem for me here (with installing / reinstalling) - is DRIVERZ. :flowers:

Sorry about taking so long to respond -got caught up in the holiday :thumbsup:

There's a lot to respond to but here's the short of it...

Ubuntu is Ubuntu...the version number simply means changes have been made to enhance it.

If your pc only had Ubuntu on it and you want to revert to Windows XP - no problem. Simply put the Windows XP CD in and let your pc boot from it. Choose to install a fresh version of Windows XP and press F8 to accept the license. Choose to delete any existing partitions and reformat. Use the NTFS file system and perform a Quick Format. Then let the process take care of itself.

Give me a chance to read over the rest of what I missed and I'll let you know if you need to do anything special.

#14 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

I had this very issue a while back, I used easeus partition manger (free) and deleted the Linux partition. Then I had to put the windows cd in and boot, (or run from the command line in windows) fixmbr.. ANyway it worked for me, by the way by using the linux install it auto installs itself as the first option to boot.
I am using the Dual again with Linux Mint, but for two small issues, I would say good bye to MS.

#15 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:01 PM

nkfro:

Yeah... sorry, it's just I'm living in Europe.

syscorpsecure:

I like, when you've said "...Ubuntu is Ubuntu...". It's funny, though... hehe. Actually, to boot from a CD/DVD - no one here said, that I should go to BIOS, and change the boot order to be CD/DVD first. My contribution to BC: here.

rosiesdad:

fixmbr, fixboot... ahh, why is it so complicated... About Linux Mint - YEAH!! It ROCKS!!

I've had an experience, in installing Windows XP, but now, I also have an experience in installing Linux Ubuntu 9.10! :inlove: :flowers: :trumpet: :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users