Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Burning CDRs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gm2015

gm2015

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:04 PM

I have a problem burning CDRs. My computer is a Gateway 510 XL which is 5 years old. I have an NEC 1300A DVD burner, which has never given me a problem before.

When I insert a blank CDR, the drive reacts as if I havenít inserted anything at all. If I try burning with Nero 6.066, Iím told to insert a blank CDR. I get the same thing if I try burning it with Itunes.

If I use Nero info Tool just to see if it can tell that a blank disc is inserted and read the manufacturerís code, it will say ďmedium not present.Ē The same thin happens with CDR Identifier. The Windows Autotplay box never appears.

This is something new. Previously, after inserting a blank disc, Windows Autoplay box would appear and I would then be able to copy to the disc.

The discs (Maxell branded Taiyo Yudens) Iím using, I have used before with no problems. I have another computer with an Optiarc 7200, and it can tell that a blank disc has been inserted, and it can burn the discs. Once theyíre burned with the Optiarc, I can usually read them in my NEC 1300A. Once in a while, I have a little trouble, where I have to re-insert the disc before it can be read, but this also happens with manufactured CDs.

I do not have any trouble burning DVD+R or DVD-R discs with the NEC 1300A, however. If I insert a blank DVD into the NEC, the Windows Autoplay box appears and I can burn to it without any problems.

Device Manager says that it is working properly. I have tried uninstalling the NEC, re-booting my computer and then having Windows re-install the NEC.

What could the problem be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 michelleells

michelleells

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

I am also having a problem burning CD's. My computer is 3 years old and it worked for a year or more. Now it can read CD's, will play music and I can burn DVD's but it will not burn to a CD. I have no idea why. Can you help?

Thanks,
Michelle

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

Some things you can try:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Use a different brand of CD/DVD.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits (or if it is a laptop, carefully wipe the laser with a soft dry cloth).
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

I use CD Burner XP with good results:

http://cdburnerxp.se/

#5 gm2015

gm2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:05 PM

Budapest:

The problem described on the Microsoft support page is something I had once before, and the fix worked. On that occasion, I did get Error Cide 37 when I went into Device Manager, and I wasn't able to access my drive at all. Neither is the case here, but I have thought about giving this a try just to see what happens.

I've also thought about giving it a cleaning. I've used compressed air, and that hasn't worked. Someone suggested that I take the drive apart and clean it with alcohol and soft cloth and I'm not eager to do that. I do have a cleaning kit, which I've thought about using. Some internet sites say that you shouldn't use them, others say that you can use them. I may give that a try.

I have tried using a different brand of CD and I get the same problem, so I don't think that't the answer.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

I would give the cleaning kit a try.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 gm2015

gm2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:23 PM

I tried the registry, but that didn't work. So I'll try the cleaning kit next.

The one thing that has me a little puzzled is that when I insert a blank CD-r in the drive, while the Windows Autoplay box doesn't appear and no program can recognize that a blank cd-r is in the drive, the little CD icon does appear next to the cursor.

#8 Soulgain

Soulgain

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

I suggest you try putting the drive in another computer and see if it acts the same way. This is so you can rule out the OS from being the problem. If it works the same way on both computers then the drive is most probably the problem.

#9 gm2015

gm2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

I've thought about buying either a new IDE drive or a USB drive, but I want to make sure that the problem isn't the operating system. I can't believe it's the burning software, because I have the problem with Nero and with Itunes. If I use CDR identifier to identify the manufacturer of blank disc, I get the same problem.

I would put it i another computer if I could, but this is an IDE drive and my other computer uses SATA.

One thing that I noticed is that my Gateway has a JLMS DVD-ROM drive, and it can't tell that I've inserted a blank disc when I use CDR Identifier, CD Speed or Nero Info Tool, and it always used to be able to. That's why I wondering if there's a problem common to both drives- like the operatiing system.

I tried cleaning the NEC DVD burner last night, but my cleaning kit, which is an old Maxell kit, didn't work in it.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

If both drives are on the same IDE controller the problem could be there. You might want to try uninstalling the IDE controller in the Device Manager and then reboot.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Tokiya

Tokiya

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

Does that only happen on your CDR? how about if u inserted a blank DVD?

I thinks your lens should be clean

#12 gm2015

gm2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

If I insert a blank DVD, the Windows Autoplay box appears and I don;t have any problem copying to it.

I just bought a new claening kit, and I'm going to give that a try. I might try IDE controller as Bupapest suggests.

Could there be any problem with an ASPI adapter?

#13 gm2015

gm2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

I should point out that right before I had this problem where my burner wouldn't recognize a blank CDR, there were occasions when I had trouble burning a CD. On one occasion, I tried to burn a 70 minute audio CD, and Nero went through the whole process at 4x, I got a message saying that the burn was successful. As it turned out, though, only 10 minues of data was burned.

Then, on another occasion, the burn was process was aborted early on because Nero was unable to perform the fixation.

The very last two CDRs I burned (one with Nero and one with ITunes), all the data was copied, but I got a cluster of C2 errors (wth the same large downward reading spike on CD Speed) at the 50:00 minute mark of both discs.

Budapest, I looked in Devuce Manager at the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (there are six: two primary IDE Channels, two secondary IDE Channels, and two Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers). If I delete these, will Windows detect them and re-install them after I re-start my computer?

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

Yes, Windows will reinstall them. For now, only uninstall the two secondary IDE Channels.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 gm2015

gm2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

Budapest:

Thanks. I'll give this a try.

I bought another CD/DVD cleaning kit and that one won't work in the drive, either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users