Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Managing desktop icons

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

My dektop is becoming somewhat cluttered with icons. I looked around a little but couldn't find the tool i need. What i want to do is to hide selected icons that i don't need. Not rarely used icons, but ones of my choice. I hope i explained this correctly. thanks, Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:25 PM

I don't know of a tool to do this, but if you don't want them, just delete them, or if you still want them, you can right click the desktop and create a new folder, then move the icons you don't use often into it.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:49 PM

i noticed that when i right click on some icons - when you select delete it says it will only remove the shortcut. others say something like are you sure you want to remove ..... i just want to be careful that i don.t remove a program. Keith

#4 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:43 AM

All you have to do is Right Click on the desktop (anywhere, but not on an icon), then go to Arrange Icons, then Select Hide Desktop Icons.

I always have this set this way...the only icon I want really is the Recycle Bin.

Since the Hide Desktop Icons, hides everything including the recycle bin, a workaround, is before you hide your icons, drag the recycle bin down to your start button and release the mouse when you hover over the start button. This puts it on your Start Menu as a "Pinned" item. Drag any icons that you want to access, then when finished, hide your desktop items.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:28 PM

windowsxp550 - super information. ready to do some clean-up. Keith

#6 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:54 PM

i noticed that when i right click on some icons - when you select delete it says it will only remove the shortcut. others say something like are you sure you want to remove ..... i just want to be careful that i don.t remove a program. Keith

If it says it is a shore cut ,you can safely delete it is not a program ,if it has a Little square with a arrow in the bottom of the icon it is a shore cut which you can safely delete JL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users