Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen and Flashing Amber

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ponchie

ponchie

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:27 AM

Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron 9150 that seems to be dead. Having trouble getting it powered up (blinking amber light) and then when/if it does power up I get the dreaded blue screen 7E stop error.
This computer has some very important stuff on it. Can it be fixed, and if so, is it something I can do myself--with my limited knowledge? I'm a quick study . . . .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

Proably the smartest thing you can do, at this point...remove the hard drive, attach it to a second system and move your data files or back them up using backup software.

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm. See 7E in left column.

Louis

#3 ponchie

ponchie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

I tried that. I'm no expert, but it looks to me like the hookups for my Dell hard drive are not compatible with my other computer--which is a Compaq.

Is there a way around this?

Also, I seemed to be having some success with the recovery disc, but then the computer will shut down and blink amber again.

I assumed that this was a power issue, so I changed the power cord. Had a bit of luck with that, but ultimately ended up with the blinking amber again.

Is there a power source that can be changed out?

Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

I don't see where Dell has a 9150 Inspiron model.

In any case...you should be able to go the Dell website and have a look at your respective manuals.

You might also review the Dell diagnostics available.

There is a power supply unit that ought to be capable of being removded by loosening 4/5 screws.

How to Diagnose and Replace a Failed PC Power Supply - http://www.wikihow.com/Diagnose-and-Replac...PC-Power-Supply

How To Test Your Computers Power Supply (PSU) - Video - http://www.metacafe.com/watch/729606/how_t...wer_supply_psu/

Louis

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

You may have a Dell Dimension 9150 if it is a desktop.
Dell models would show it as a 9100 series unless you enter your service tag on the main support page.
Inspirons are laptops. I have an 8900 and a 9100 inspiron laptop.

Dell using similar model numbers for laptops and desktops will continue to cause confusion for years.

The dimension 9100 has a sata drive.

A Dell Inspiron laptop 9100 has a 2.5" ide drive. There is usually a blade to pin adapter on the drive. Standard 2.5 ide to 3.5 ide adapters will allow you to mount the drive in any desktop. It is set to single master by default so you might need the adapter which includes a master slave switch or look up the jumper for the drive.

An external sata enclosure with a usb connection to the computer is available on amazon for between 7.00 and 40.00. I use the cheap ones so I can give them away to clients after I recover their data. External ide enclosures are also available but you will need he 2.5 size specifically. Sata drives of any size work in the external sata enclosures but the 2.5 might rattle around in a 3.5 size case.

SATA pci cards are also cheap.

Do you have the recovery dvd/ or cds you made when the system was new? (Some models gave you the option of pre printed recovery disk sets at time of purchase.)

If you cannot find the details post the service tag

Does it look like the one on this page?
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&~ck=anavml

or like this one:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&~ck=anavml

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:31 AM

Methinks perhaps something like this might be helpful: it can adapt an IDE (3.5" and 2.5") or SATA drive to USB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users