Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a wireless external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Muffalugagus

Muffalugagus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:47 AM

I just bought a Cirago CST4250 250 GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive (have not received, in transit). All it has is the USB interface - I believe after looking at the specs. I have a wireless hub connection to the internet, there are only ethernet ports on it. On my cable modem, though there is a USB I/O connection. How can I make my soon to be arriving external hard drive available for wireless access? If what I have mentioned does not make this capable so far, what about buying a dongle or bluetooth adapter and plugging this into the usb port on the EHDD, would this work? I would rather do a wireless connection via my hub if possible since I am finding that bluetooth has 2-3 Mbsps limit on data transfer.

In the specs of the EHDD it doesn't mention Windows 7 as being compatible, but is it safe to assume that it is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:34 PM

From their website:

Supports PC (Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista), MAC (MAC OS8.6 or above) and Linux

It should work with Windows 7, but I've learned never assume anything

I am not aware of any wireless external hard drive or a way to make one wireless, but I've been wrong before

Edited by garmanma, 22 November 2009 - 12:41 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Ted McLain

Ted McLain

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

Any USB drive should work fine with Windows 7. However, you will have a problem trying to make a simple external drive a wireless device. There are wireless network drives on the market. They're called wireless NAS (Netwok Attached Storage) devices. IOMEGA and Buffalo are two companied that come to mind that market these, but there a several others. These devices have a built in network adapter and some embedded server code that tells the device how to handle multiple connections, etc. That's what your USB drive is lacking. Run a web search on Wireless NAS devices and you'll find some good info...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

FWIW: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/ho...build_a_nas_box

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users