Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 breeseg

breeseg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

Anyone got any ideas,

I purchased an external hard drive to run from my laptop (acer extensa series running windows XP). The lap top recognises the additional hard ware, it appears on my control panel under the device manager, but I cannot access the drive to place files on it. The only thing I can do is click "safely remove mass USB storage device".

Its doing my head in. Its not available under my computer, I cant browse to it, I cant even find an option to format the little sucker.

My next step is to buy a small axe.

Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:07 AM

I am assuming this drive is new and has no data on it to be saved.
Does the computer see the drive when plugged in and turned on?

If this is correct:
Right Click My Computer>Manage>Storage>Disk Management

From here you should see the drive in the right pane, right click the drive and choose Format then you will quick format the drive, be sure to format it in the File System type you wish to use. You can also choose the drive letter of the drive from the disk management. After choosing the Drive Letter be sure not to change it after storing data to the drive or you may not be able to access the data.

#3 breeseg

breeseg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:23 PM

Worked a treat. You learn something new everyday!
Thanks!

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:58 AM

You're Welcome
Thanks for checking back. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users