Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Ghost Image Vista Key code

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ncbwood

ncbwood

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:49 PM

Well I am all new and I of course I have a question\issue that needs to be resolved. I have been tasked to ghost 50+ Laptop's using ghost and sysprep. All the laptops are the same brand, new Dell laptops. The actual ghost and sysprep works great right up to the point where I start up the newly blown image and I am asked to enter the windows key code. It tells me it is an invaild key code and it is correct. All the laptops have vaild codes, however they are Vista codes on the label. The laptops came with the XP image pre-loaded and what I guessing as the vista option for later. The only key code avaiable is the vista code. Does MS have a method to handle this issue and if so can it be shared.

Thanks to all in advance to all

If this is posted in the wrong forum I am sorry and please direct me to the correct one

Thanks

Edited by ncbwood, 20 November 2009 - 11:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:48 AM

Are you asking whether Vista codes can be used on XP? If so, then no, they can't. Aside from contacting your vendor for the proper keys, there isn't much that can be done, I'm afraid.

#3 ncbwood

ncbwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for the Quick reply

No, I knew I could not use the Vista Code, the first two time I did enter it, I never actually look at anything but the code, until it did not work , thats when I read the whole sticker and knew it was a vista code.
With all the units having been ordered with tXP you would think there would be some method for the code, I am sure that Dell is using some type ot pre-authentication code for the Xp

I will have to call DEll on Monday

Thanks

#4 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:17 AM

Are you creating the image from a machine BEFORE YOU ACTIVATE XP??

Once you activate, then image the machine - your Product Key for all additional machines becomes the one you activated and you defeat the purpose of volume licensing or using your COA (Certificate of Authenticity). That's the sticker that appears on each machine stating the Product Key for that machine.

Also, are you using an answer file to setup product keys? If all of the machines have the exact same configuration then you do not need to image a machine with an active product key. Use the answer file to install your product keys by machine name. Try the following if you intend to have all users activate their own machines:
  • Install XP.
  • Install hardware drivers and software applications you want to clone.
  • Make sure you install license keys only for the software programs, NOT XP.
  • Create your image.

You need to make sure that there is no previous XP CD Key imaged and you use Sysprep to create a clean SAM (Security Accounts Manager) Database file in your image. The fact that your machines come with a product key to upgrade to Vista should not prevent you from installing XP. I have an Acer Aspire One netbook with Windows XP SP3, Vista and Windows 7 tri-booting without problems.

#5 ncbwood

ncbwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

Thank for the Reply
As I was trying to say is that the sysprep and the Image it self is working well, and I understand the the MS licensing. the issue is that the Lpatops were order with the the backbuild of XP and are Vista Ready, which means the units come preloaded with XP but are supplied with a Vista CD and the COA Sticker is for Vista, So when I create an Image with all our requirements on the master PC and then run the sysprep so the it will allow us to enter the COA code for each laptop. We do not have volume licensing so that is why there is a need for the XP COA per laptop., i was hoping that there was some white paper out there that someone would point me to or had run across the the same type of problem would have a solution.

Thanks again for everyone's responses

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

It may have changed with recent models, but the xp shipped with dells (and used on their recovery cd/dvd) used to be tied to the bios and activated automatically.
Did any of the units come with a recovery set? Does the system have a "make recovery disk" menu item?
I don't have any new Dells on my bench.

I am sure Dell support can tell you how to do what you want. Whether you can get to someone who can understand what you need to do is another story.

For clues read this link.
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/vista.htm
It is not directly what you are looking for but it details the difference between the recovery system used on xp dells and vista dells and may give you some clues that would be good to know before you contact dell.

Also, take down the name, and employee number of everyone you talk to at Dell and remember your purchasing dept will probably have a sales rep who can possibly get you past the standard page flippers if you end up in the black hole of dell support.

Also this MS whitepaper is kinda dated but addresses the general need of activating xp in a corporate environment.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457078.aspx

Another link that seems more closely to fit your situation.
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet...sta-rollba.aspx

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 23 November 2009 - 09:24 AM.

#7 ncbwood

ncbwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

Thanks to ALL
Ken-in-West-Seattle the link with the OEM Code worked great, it was also confirmed by our Dell rep.

I want to again, Thank everyone for their responses and Help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users