Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to buy a laptop!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LazyMan826

LazyMan826

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:02 PM

Hello,

I really want to get myself a laptop that I can put all my stuff on. I was hoping I could post kind of what I was looking for and hopefully someone could help me out!

If possible, I would need something that had:
- Duo processor: I was told it is needed over a solo processor
- About 3gb of ram: This is probably all I would need but willing to take more
- 300GB hard drive: I don't have that much to really store on my computer. Just a ton of papers from school, bank account statements, and such so I don't need one that is super large. I think 300 would be a good size but not exactly sure if that is to big or to small.
- Long battery life: This is probably the hardest thing to find. I commute to school so I would like to be able to bring it and not have to hook it up to the wall but if I must, that is okay. I was shooting for 5 hours but willing to compromise.
- Windows stuff: I would like things like word and excel on the computer. Does that come with since most have windows 7 on it or do I have to purchase something separate?

Any help is appreciated and if you need any more info just let me know. Everyone has been wonderful and fixing my desktop so I know I can count on the people here!

Thanks!

Edited by LazyMan826, 20 November 2009 - 09:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

The lenovo IdeaPad Y550 might be a good choice for you. It has 4.5 hours of battery life.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

I guess I should have said I was looking for around the $600 mark (more than happy to go cheaper). (is that even possible with what I want?)

#4 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

Here's a link someone helpfully left on my thread asking a similar question.

http://www.dealnews.com/tech

I took a quick look and it seems very promising. Good luck.

#5 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

LM826,

search black friday deals

Dan

#6 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

What about something like this?
http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/Sta...cmArea=CIRCULAR

I have never had a dell though before so I am a little weary....

#7 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

Best Buy is going to have a laptop on sale for $197 on black Friday, also on line.

Dan

#8 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

So I have been doing a lot of searching and I found this laptop:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+...p;cp=1&lp=1

I was just wondering if someone could verify that I could do the following:
- Burn CD's (I have a lot of CD's I want to put into ITunes
- Surf the web (This may be dumb but I haven't ever used wireless so I want to make sure this can use it effectively)
- Does it come with word and such? (I don't think it does so how could I get it besides paying a lot of money?)

Thanks!

#9 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:31 PM

An HP Pavillion dv4 (I'm not sure which one, but I've been considering the 1551dx you linked; did you see the 2045dx for $20 less?) has been on my short list for the last week as I've searched about for the 'best' deal. Cnet gives it 3.5 stars, and I've owned an HP in the past and been happy with the machine and the support. To answer your questions, it's yes to all. For what it's worth, you could find a less expensive version of the dv4 (less RAM, slower processor, smaller HDD, etc.) for much less that would still burn CDs, have a wireless card, and include Word (as far as I know all versions of Windows comes with word). Just Google, say, "hp pavillion dv4 for sale" and check it out. Good luck.

Edited by LouieChuckyMerry, 28 November 2009 - 02:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users