Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem but what kind?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Deafdude

Deafdude

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

:thumbsup:

Hello

I am a long timer lurker and have been able to solve many problems using this board..so thanks in advance!!!

I have a problem now that I am not sure how to describe other than odd/ worrisome!

I used windows XP with Zonealarm and AVG anttivirus....

I have also run Spybot , malwarebyte and superantivirus...I did a panda scan and have found nothing...

The problems is this...first my programs seem to "close" ,not really close but act like another window was opened...

my screensaver just stops at random times like someone moved the mouse...

My Warcraft game has been running slow, this was My 1st clue as my computer is setup for the game....

I have ran just about every scan in the Xp forum and have found nothing any help would be awesome

So what is my next step here how do I get the help I need to fix this?

thanks Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

Have you run Memtest 86 to see if there is an issue with your ram? If the test shows any abnormality change out the bad stick.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

Also, see this topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/271631/games-tend-to-minimize/

May just be a problem related to AVG, if you have recently updated.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

Do you have any wireless devices installed - mouse, keyboard...

There are some good ideas in the Bleeping Computer - Slow Computer? post at the top of this forum. Solutions you can use.

If you are running Spybot, ZoneAlarm and AVG with any kind of real time scanning enabled - these all have potential to consume many CPU and memory resource that you may rather make available to your games.

It depends on how they are configured.

For performance issues, you could do some simple analysis with Task Manager or Process Explorer to see if those are making some system/gaming resources unavailable and to what extent. It is fundamental analysis, but can be revealing without downloading any special tools.

Run Task Manager and in the Processes tab, click View, Select Columns, check Virtual Memory size (so that column will be included), then expand the TM window so you can see all the columns.

Individually click the column headings for CPU, Mem Usage and VM Size columns to sort from most to least.

What is consuming the most in each column and do you know what it is and why it is?

Are you running the Spybot TeaTimer? TeaTimer is a Virtual Memory hog. Do you know what the function of TeaTimer is and do you need it? Has Spybot ever found anything for you besides cookies?

If you are using a ZA firewall and the Windows firewall at the same time, you may want to rethink that strategy. They sometimes don't play well together. ZA installed "out of the box" without some configuration tuning may not be suitable for every environment.

AVG is also a high consumer of resources and I have not run any versions of that in a long time.

Just those 3 alone make me cringe. I have used them all at one time or another. It is possible to become too protective.

(Disclaimer: Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt. Subject to terms and conditions. Your mileage may vary. Certain conditions apply. Offer void where prohibited).

Edited by joseibarra, 21 November 2009 - 10:07 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 Deafdude

Deafdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:22 PM

Well its fixed!!!

The AVG patched fixed it....

I wanted to thank everyone who helped me!!

Thank you!!

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users