Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU's WOL wires

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:15 PM

Hi everyone. I recently bought a Cooling After thing which keeps your fans running for a while after you turn off your computer. Anyway, it runs off the WOL connector on the motherboard, and mine doesnt have one, so theres an adapter cable that plugs directly from your PSU's motherboard connection and gives this thing power like the WOL connector. But since they've been sold out for a while i've been thinking of making my own. All I need to know is which wires on the PSU are for the WOL. I'm pretty sure that pin 9 is one of them. (Purple, 5v standby). I think pins 4,6,8,18,19,20 might be the other ones because when i just plug in the power supply (not turning it on) if i use a voltmeter those other pins have power with pin 9. Thanks Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:54 AM

You can probably use any one of them. Wake on Lan requires that the motherboard be powered with the power supply switched off so if you have the standby on pin 9 it will work with any of those that complete the circuit, I would think.

Posted Image

How does this thing work? On a timer or a thermal sensor? Do you have a link for it?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:48 PM

As you probably know, WOL is a way to turn on your computer from another place on the network (Wake On Lan). So in order for the computer to be able to turn itself on while its off, it needs to have a small amount of power, thus the powered WOL which turns on when the computer turns off, and can turn on this product because its powered by WOL. There is a link for the WOL adapter( you can see the black wire going to pin 9) http://www.frozencpu.com/bus-38.html?id=dqseWrXh and the actual thing itself http://www.frozencpu.com/bus-12.html All it does is you can set the legnth of time it runs (by jumpers) and you just have your heatsink fan and a case fan plugged into it and it keeps those fans running for that set amount of time. (Which really helps when you turn off your computer because all the fans turn off and the cpu and everything else that creates heat still retain the heat and dont have anything to cool them off, but this keeps fans running for a little longer to cool them off better.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users