Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to the internet, after getting rid of 2 Malwares

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

After using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to get rid of two malwares, "System Defender" and "Antivirus Plus," my system has a few problems, including:

- Windows setup claiming there are no hard drives connected, when using my Windows XP CD to boot (despite the fact that I can start the computer as normal when booting normally, using the hard drives it claims to not detect)
- Random restarts
- Seem to be connected to the internet but no applications can connect, as if I'm not connected

What can I do? Is there a fix to problems such malware may have left that cause such things?

EDIT: Also, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and AVG both show that there are 0 infections found. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware does, however, tell me, every 10 minutes or so, that it has successfully blocked access to malicious IPs, as if the previous malwares are always still trying to infect me, despite seemingly being gone.

Edited by andrewset, 20 November 2009 - 03:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:29 PM

As for the internet connection issue, you can try going in to safemode with networking to see if you are able to get online that way. In addition to MBAM I usually run SUPERAntiSpyware as well and then run a full virus scan. You want to try and run these in regular Windows mode if possible. If you are able to get online in safemode, get the SUPERAntiSpyware installed and updated and make sure your antivirus is up to date as well. Log back in normally and see if you can run the scans.

Edited by azfreetech, 20 November 2009 - 03:29 PM.

DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 sbgospe

sbgospe

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hi.

Wow, that sounds nasty. I'm not an expert, so I'll keep this short. My initial issues started with System Defender....and it appears to me (based on inputs from several forums-not all of which are here) that you may have what I have: some type of a rootkit. If you want to educate yourself on this, search on wikipedia under "rootkit"-pretty scare stuff.

So...you certainly can try booting into safe mode, but that may not work. I routinely do that when I scan, and this did NOT remove my issue. The wikipedia entry mentions something about why this is the case.

However, I find it hard to believe that this would impact accessing your hard drive. It is possible you have more than one problem. Can you see your drives in the bios?

Steve

#4 mov cx ax

mov cx ax

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

Did You Happen Play A Sony Music Cd On That Pc?! If So What Was The Name?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,330 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hello andrewset

See if this fixes your Net issues .

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If that worked Please run part 1 of S!Ri's SmitfraudFix
Please download SmitfraudFix

Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users