Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Redirects, AVG 8.5 updates blocked, MBAM shuts down or doesn't start at all.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Disco Dave

Disco Dave

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hello, I would appreciate any advice....

Dell PC, Windows XP Home, IE8. Normally rely on AVG Free 8.5 and ActiveSystem Care

First issue came up 2 weeks ago - internet explorer hung up and reported a missing .dll file (I think - I didn't note what it was). After a forced shut-down, PC would not restart - stopping after the Windows XP logo, leaving a blank screen, albeit with a fully movable cursor arrow. Same problem in Safe Mode

After googling on another PC, I found I could get in via "Safe Mode with Networking" - and used ActiveSystemCare to retrieve a restore point. That allowed me to start the computer normally again.

Since then, AVG Free 8.5 tells me my definitions update failed because "Access is forbidden by the server". I started by manually downloading updates at work and transferring them home on CD. First run after updating found:

"C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37680B2-BA0A-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP2116\A0102661.exe";"Trojan horse PSW.Generic7.APUR";"Moved to Virus Vault"

However, I still cannot update the definitions because "Access is forbidden by server" I have since found I can manually download updates onto the infected PC and update manually, but there are no infections found. Intermittently my browser redirects me to alternative sites, usually marketing or price comparison sites. I sometimes get asked to type in codes to "confirm I am not a machine" when visiting commonly visited pages, again I ignore these and shut down IE.

I tried updating to AVG Free 9, but when installing, it needs to check my internet connection, but tells me there is no connection detected and that I need to check my proxy settings. At this point I cancel the installation.

I tried running MBAM - The copy I had already would initialise, but after 3 seconds just shut down. After re-installing it will run once to say there are no issues found, but will subsequently revert to either shutting down after 3 seconds, or not starting up at all.

Last resort, I tried using windows system restore, but it failed on both occasions. I think I'm at the stage of posting logs etc, but thought I should wait to be invited to do so, and properly directed.

Thanks in anticipation.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

It sounds like you may have something running which is preventing you from being able to install/run security software. What I normally do is use Rkill to stop the malware processes that start when the computer comes on. Then I run the Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware. Here are some DL links for the Rkill....

LINK 1
LINK 2
LINK 3
LINK 4

Once you get it downloaded double click to launch it (With Vista you need to right click and select run as administrator). You should see a little black window open and then close. If you see that box then it worked. If you don't see the black box then delete the file and use another download link and repeat the steps.

Once it runs I would uninstall and then re-install the AVG and MBAM. After re-installing try runnig them. If all else fails go to Safemode. I realize that MBAM isn't as effective there but if you can atleast get it installed and run a scan you will most likely be able to get rid of some of the malware process initially. If you have problems with the AVG try safemode for that as well. Bare minimum you may be able to get it installed and updated so that when you go back in to regular Windows mode you can run it.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#3 Disco Dave

Disco Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Firstly, I got a "Windows AntiSpyware" warning before running RKill. Is this normal? It didn't look right, but maybe I'm just paranoid now.

Meanwhile, I seem to be having the same issues with MBAM even in safe-mode - the initial update seemed to terminate, but I ran a scan anyway with no issues found. I then tried a manual update, which said there was an update available, which it downloaded, then immediately shut down. It's back to not starting - all in safe mode despite running RKill again.

I am about to try re-installing AVG and see where I get on....

Dave

Edited by Disco Dave, 20 November 2009 - 04:35 PM.

#4 Disco Dave

Disco Dave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

Hello again.

I also have the same trouble with AVG - can't reinstall it as it keeps telling me there is no internet connection. Even in safe mode.

What is my next move?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users