Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frozen Compaq HELP!!!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

I have a Compaq Presario 3000 laptop. When i turn it on the compaq splash screen appears it gives the option of hitting f10 for rom based boot but it doesnt work once that compaq splash screen shows up it freezes. What is causeing this?? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

How about if you boot from a CD? (or DVD)

If it can boot to a CD, it could very well be your hard drive. If you can boot to a DOS prompt from a CD, see if you can access the C: drive and run CHKDSK /F, that should tell you some info.

If you know what brand of drive it is, the manufacturers website can sometimes have an available diagnostic.

Before you do any of that, try reseating the RAM. Open it up, take them out and put them back in.

Good luck.

DR

#3 supawiz6991

supawiz6991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

I cant boot to cd. I tried it. All it does is the dics spins and then stops. :thumbsup:

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

Well, if you can't get into BIOS, you can't see much. Some BIOS have diagnostics within them.

You could try removing a memory chip, if there are 2. Bad RAM can run havoc.

At this point, you might want a shop to give it a quick look. Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users