Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to use search engines

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LyleG

LyleG

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:37 PM

My wifes computer is unable to use search engines. If a site is bookmarked she can go there, but, if not she just gets the error that the search has timed out. I have tried several different anti-virus programs and 3 different Anti-Malware programs and the problem is still there. I have also tried restoring her computer to a previous known good date, no good. So.... with that being said.... can someone help me help her? Her OS is Windows XP.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

What browser are you using?

#3 Vince.R

Vince.R

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:54 PM

Hi. I'm a new member. I'm experiencing similar problem as LyleG with Yahoo search, via IE8 and Firefox. My computer was also infected with some viruses. I was able to remove them thru browsing in the security section here, but still getting error message when using search function.

IE8 Error Message-
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Firefox Error Message-
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at search.yahoo.com.

Thank you.

#4 LyleG

LyleG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

She uses both Yahoo and Google. She gets the SAME Message as the previous post.

Edited by LyleG, 20 November 2009 - 10:44 PM.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:31 AM

Yahoo is not a browser. Is it IE? If so, what version? Is it Firefox or Google Chrome?

#6 LyleG

LyleG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:44 AM

Duh! My fault :thumbsup: She mainly uses Firefox, but, we also tried IE and had the same problem.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

You might want to look at your firewall security settings.

#8 Vince.R

Vince.R

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

The security settings are fine, same settings as other computers. I can use Google to search with no problem. I used IE8 and Firefor 3.03 and still have the same issue. I uninstalled IE8 and went back to IE 6 and 7 and had the same problem. I know a file got corrupted or deleted with the infection, just don't know which one.

I also can not use Bing, MSN and Go, but I can use other Yahoo-based engines, like Hotbot, etc.

Edited by Vince.R, 22 November 2009 - 10:12 PM.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:22 AM

Is it possible that you're still infected?

#10 LyleG

LyleG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:02 AM

There is another guy adding replies to my topic. I have not had the chance to check her firewall settings yet. :thumbsup:

I just checked her settings and they appear to be correct, Firewall is on and the AVP SEEMS to be working properly. She uses AVG 9.0 (Free Edition)

Edited by LyleG, 23 November 2009 - 10:06 AM.

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:56 AM

What firewall are you using? I'm sure it's on. But are the settings too high? Same thing with the browser. I usually keep mine at medium.

#12 Vince.R

Vince.R

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

There is another guy adding replies to my topic. I have not had the chance to check her firewall settings yet. :thumbsup:

I just checked her settings and they appear to be correct, Firewall is on and the AVP SEEMS to be working properly. She uses AVG 9.0 (Free Edition)

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I thought our problems are similar and could have the same solution.

#13 Vince.R

Vince.R

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

Is it possible that you're still infected?

Yes. I just ran ESET online scanner and found some more Qhost trojans. Thank you.

#14 LyleG

LyleG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:09 PM

I didn't mean to sound mean. I just wanted him to know which thread had started it is all. And all her settings are at medium.

#15 Travito

Travito

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:05 PM

Might want to check your Hosts file as well, if it's primarily happening with just search engines. Lots of the new Vundo variants (those lovely Rogue AVs that have been so common lately) have been throwing redirects into the Host file.

Check C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts with notepad, if it has anything more than an introduction and localhost redirecting to 127.0.0.1, you may wish to PM me with the contents of your hosts file and I'll scour it, or go to the experts in the security forums here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users