Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is limewire?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fpgill

fpgill

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hello,

My first time here. I was trying to help my 12 year old daughter set up her new ipod when my teenage son told me not to download "his" music onto her ipod. Apparently clever teenage son has installed something called "limewire" and has been obtaining music files for free because "nobody pays for music anymore".

I am not a sophisticated computer user but all sorts of red flags are going off. From the bit I've managed to read about it, it isn't illegal per se but you can do illegal things with it (like share copyrighted music?) I've also read it can come with malware.

So - should I just delete limewire and the files he's gotten? Is it as simple as doing an 'uninstall' to get rid of it?

And a related question - is all the music that one obtains legally for your ipod something you are supposed to buy? Or are there sites were you can get music free legally? If you take music out of the library can you download it onto your computer for personal use? (I know you can do this with copyrighted knitting patterns for example)

Teenagers - sigh.

thanks,
fpgill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

If you want to be legal try iTUNES for the iPOD which is subscription based. There is also Rhapsody. it is a 14 day trial at first.

As for Limewire. It is an application that uses Peer to Peer ( or P2P) file transferring. That means people upload their files for others to download. Peer to peer DOES have legitimate uses. But yes, a lot of it is sharing copyrighted such as music and movies or books.

If you uninstall the Limewire application it likely will take all the files your son has downloaded with it. I guess that is Dad's call :thumbsup: here is a guide that can help http://www.pcauthorities.com/pc-maintenanc...re-from-your-pc

There are many sites that you can use legally to download music, as long as they are the proper file associations, like mp3 for instance. You CAN do what they call "rip" or upload to your computer, a music CD you bought and put the files on your mp3 player legally.

Malware is easy to catch using P2P. Evil ne'er-do-wells upload malicious virii or spyware for the express pupose of gaining personal info on your computer or just to mess things up.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

Heres a little info on it:

http://communication.howstuffworks.com/limewire4.htm

LimeWire, the software application, is completely legal. What many people do with LimeWire -- namely downloading and distributing copyright material -- isn't legal.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 fpgill

fpgill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

OK. So I want to uninstall Limewire and get rid of all the illegal music. And all the instructions I find say to :

"Go to the Start menu, then choose the Control Panel option. Click Add or Remove Programs. Once the installed programs list appears, look through the programs and choose Limewire and then click on the Change/Remove option to start the removal process"

Simple enough. Except, when I click on the 'add/remove programs' buttons - Limewire isn't in the list of programs shown.

Yet - when I physically open C:\Program Files and look at the list of folders in it - there is a Limewire folder. In it are:
Limewire.exe (492kb)
Limewire.pack (22, 965 kb)
unpack200.exe (124kb)
msvcr71.dll (340kb)
LImewire.jar.tmp (55,106 kb)

and a folder called lib which contains:
systemutilities.dll (88kb)
jdic.dll (108kb)
Unpackedjars.7z (18,107kb)
Limewire.jar (55,106lb)
jacob-1.14.3-x86.dll (100kb)

And for some reason, in my son's regular document folder on the desktop is a file Limewire 5.3.9 shortcut (2kb)

I hope I'm not going into too much detail, but I'm not a sophisticated computer user. Why doesn't Limewire show up when I click on 'add/remove programs'? Is it HIDING? How do I get rid of it and the illegal music files (which I'm not really sure where they are, unless they are in the ITunes library)

thanks!
fpgill

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

Limewire probably isn't hiding inasmuch as it's not attempting to remain unseen; it's not a malicious or sneaky program. It's probably just a matter of a hiccup somewhere or a lazy programmer not adding it to the list of installed programs.

You should be able to simply delete the install folder to deny your son the ability to use the program. Then make sure that your son does not have Administrator privileges so as to prevent him from re-installing it. (Note that even without this ability, if he's clever, he may still be able to run a special "portable" version of this program.)

As for the music already downloaded, even if you uninstalled Limewire from the Add/Remove Programs control panel, they would not be affected. You will have to remove them manually. By default, Limewire creates a folder under the user's My Documents folder called "shared," "downloads," or something similar (sorry, it's been a while since I used Limewire myself.)

#6 fpgill

fpgill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

Thank you. The Limewire folder has been deleted, along with the music files which were exactly where you said they would be, and the recycle bin emptied. Son has been adequately threatened.

When I run a search of the computer files now using the term limewire, nothing comes up. For some reason I thought you had to "uninstall" programs, not just delete their folders.

#7 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

Thank you. The Limewire folder has been deleted, along with the music files which were exactly where you said they would be, and the recycle bin emptied. Son has been adequately threatened.

When I run a search of the computer files now using the term limewire, nothing comes up. For some reason I thought you had to "uninstall" programs, not just delete their folders.

Sometimes folders are left behind after an uninstall but you still must "uninstall" a program when ever possible.
I always found limewire great for virus downlaods. :thumbsup:

Edited by Monty007, 21 November 2009 - 04:57 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

Uninstalling is the preferred method for removing software as it (usually) cleans up after the program. Deleting the folder will make the program unusable (since the files are gone) but it won't make any system-wide changes to remove the various hooks and tendrils that most software is apt to deploy when initially installed.

#9 fpgill

fpgill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:43 AM

I would have preferred to uninstall it - but I couldn't figure out how to do it, since it doesn't appear in the 'add/remove' programs list. According to the link given (pcauthorities) about how to completely uninstall Limewire, at least one other person is having the same issue I am.

#10 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

You could try using Revo Uninstaller to see if it appears it its uninstall list. Revo deletes all leftover file fragments and registry entries associated with programs uninstalled through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users