Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem formatting bootable thumb drive

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mechanized Death

Mechanized Death

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:01 PM

Hello BC,

I was recently given a thumb drive with some very important software on it. It is bootable, and it appears to be booting into Windows (it says "Windows is loading setup files" or whatever the message is) but the interface that it actually gives me looks more like a Linux-based desktop.

Anyway, I made an image of the drive using a freeware utility called USB Image Tool 1.51. It saved it in IMG format. I wanted to put the image onto another flash drive (the exact same model and disk size) as a backup, so I wrote the image to the new, empty flash drive. It put the files on there, but apparently not the boot information. It bypasses the drive altogether when I boot it up (and I have the BIOS set to look for USB devices during bootup). I was always under the impression that an image contained EVERYTHING on a drive -- boot sector and all. Is this not the case?

Anyway, someone told me to pull the MBR from a floppy disk and put that on the flash drive. I did that, and it just hangs with a blinking cursor, so I zeroed it out again.

Any suggestions on how I get the drive to boot up like the other one does?

If it helps, the drive contains a folder called BOOT and it includes these files:
FONTS/WGL4_BOOT.TTF
BCD
BOOT.SDI
BOOTFIX.BIN
ETFSBOOT.COM

Any input at all is appreciated.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users