Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

install new video card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flyeguy

flyeguy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

I recently had to reformatt my comp,as i got infected,& want to reinstall my ATI Raedon X1300 card.
my comp is a Dell Dimension E310 with a Intel 8291G/910 GL chipset which can't be upgraded.
i tried to reinstall the Raedon,but forgot to disable the Intel card,so i got nothing.
my q is,when i go to my Device Manager,do i DISABLE,or UNINSTALL my old card before i reinstall the Raedon.
i disabled the old card,the Raedon is still in the PCI Express slot,but when the comp rebooted,the Raedon wasn't in the device manager,but the Intel was.
also should i pull out the new card,then reseat it,then reboot?
i know this sounds dumb,but i've forgotten!
appreciate the help.

EDIT: Moved to Internal Hardware

Edited by garmanma, 20 November 2009 - 12:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

If you have onboard devices that you don't intend to use...the place to disable such is in the BIOS.

Once disabled in the BIOS, the device ceases to be a source of prompts, error messages, etc.

Disabling anything in Device Manager...IMO, that's only a temporary, troubleshooting step that a user might take. Even if disabled there, the device will be reflected as such there...whereas it doesn't even appear in Device Manager if disabled in the BIOS.

Louis

#3 flyeguy

flyeguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

thanx for you swift reply.
could you give me some info about how to disable the card in the video.
also,if i do that,when i reboot will there be any video if i havent installed the new card?
also if i UNINSTALL the onboard card in the Device Manager, when i reboot to install the new card,will there be any video?
& do i have to remove it from the PCI Express slot,then reseat it?
thanx again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

Your manual should contain instructions on how to enter the BIOS/Setup and the options available on the various screens. There is no universal way of doing either, but your owner's manual should cover that.

How to access-enter Motherboard BIOS - http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

<<also,if i do that,when i reboot will there be any video if i havent installed the new card?>>

I don't know why anyone would want to do such...I can't answer because I've never tried it.

<<...i UNINSTALL the onboard card in the Device Manager, when i reboot to install the new card,will there be any video>>

You don't uninstall the onboard card in Device Manager. All you can do in Device Manager is remove drivers. If you uninstall the video driver in DM...turn the system off...put the actual PCI-e card in place...and then boot the system, you will have video. The BIOS and Windows will each detect the card in place and XP will load its default drivers...and later the drivers for the new card (if such exist in the XP cache for drivers). The custom drivers for your card will replace the default Windows XP video drivers (which are the same ones installed when a user goes to safe mode).

<<..do i have to remove it from the PCI Express slot,then reseat it?>>

If the card is already installed inside the case, there is no reason to remove it if you intend to use it for video purposes.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users