Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus disabled Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hello,

First I had the http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...system-defender virus, which those instructions involving Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware helped me get rid of, but now I have the http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-antivirus-plus virus, and this time Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is also disabled, apparently by the virus deleting the needed wbam.exe file from the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware install directory. I even tried uninstalling Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and reinstalling, but it never again creates the wbam.exe file, even after I reinstall in a different directory, such as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware2 or 3. Even the Setup tells me:
"Unable to execute file:
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware2\mbam.exe
CreateProcess failed; code 2.
The system cannot find the file specified.
The instructions for getting rid of this "Antivirus Plus" malware involve the use of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, so what should I do?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

Hello,this should help.
-- Some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. Others may delete the main mbam.exe executable file during installation or when attempting to perform a scan which results in various errors.

One way to resolve this is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on a non-infected computer.
  • After installation, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder where mbam.exe is located.
  • Copy the mbam.exe file to the Desktop and rename it to wuauclt.exe or explorer.exe.
  • Save the renamed file to a usb flash drive or CD, then transfer to the infected computer.
    • Another option is to upload the file somewhere so you can download it later to the infected computer.
    • If you do not have access to another computer, ask a friend to email or upload a renamed mbam.exe for you and provide a link to download it.
  • Place the renamed mbam.exe in the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder on the infected computer, then double-click on it to launch the program.
  • Check for database definition updates through the program's interface.
  • Then perform a Quick Scan, check all items found for removal and reboot afterwards.
  • Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
  • When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the report in your next reply.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users