Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Updates? No chance

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_com28

Chris_com28

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

I've done everything that's been said on the support sites. I've rebooted countless times. I've made registery keys, deleted regitry keys. Even tried booting from disc and nothing, repeat nothing works. Microsoft has been about as much help as a headache and now all I can think of is going to Linux.

Is there ANYTHING left to do before dumping Microslop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

Have you tried reregistering your windows updates service via your cmd prompt !

Try this !

Open up your cmd prompt with admin privileges !

To Register WUPS
Type in cmd : net stop wuauserv
Click enter

To Register WUPS.dll file
Type in cmd : regsrvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Click enter
Click OK on each varification

Start the automatic updates service
Type in cmd : net start wuauserv
Click enter

Remember to put spaces in between typing where i have !
Hope this helps to get you sorted let me know how you get on with it !
Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

Im not sure this will help but hae you checked the problem isnt the service pack your running, or cant you install SPs either

this worked for a previous member

#4 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

Have you tried reregistering your windows updates service via your cmd prompt !

Try this !

Open up your cmd prompt with admin privileges !

To Register WUPS
Type in cmd : net stop wuauserv
Click enter

To Register WUPS.dll file
Type in cmd : regsrvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Click enter
Click OK on each varification

Start the automatic updates service
Type in cmd : net start wuauserv
Click enter

Remember to put spaces in between typing where i have !
Hope this helps to get you sorted let me know how you get on with it !
Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

Not recognised...
Thanks anyway.

#5 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

Im not sure this will help but hae you checked the problem isnt the service pack your running, or cant you install SPs either

this worked for a previous member

Could be. I managed to get SP3 after a great deal of work. I think I'm missing files on my computer which is stopping the install. I brought a recovery CD today. Hopefully that will solve it.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

:thumbsup:

I found that SP3 worked much better after a Clean Install of Win XP.

I did get similar problems when trying to install SP3 over the top of the old XP.

Keep that in mind if all else fails?

#7 Chris_com28

Chris_com28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:34 PM

I already had problems when trying to install SP3 so I think it's something else. I remember one of the messages was that it needed to load a certain file that wasn't on my HD. Don't have the error message as that download was`solved somehow.

Fresh install? Wouldn't that clear my hard drive? Anyway to do this and save my data? I've been thinking about Windows 7 lately. After all, it was my idea. So if I upgrade to 7 will I still have the same problem? I guess I should be ok if it's missing system files.

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:01 AM

:thumbsup:

Fresh install? Wouldn't that clear my hard drive? Anyway to do this and save my data? I've been thinking about Windows 7 lately. After all, it was my idea. So if I upgrade to 7 will I still have the same problem? I guess I should be ok if it's missing system files.

In a word, "Yes." It certainly clears your Hard Drive, so also would installing WIN7. (Installing a New Operating System over an old one a couple of Versions back is never a good Idea), particularly in your case where you already have Problems? New System will just make them worse. I strongly suspect that has happened with SP3, like it did with me.

The Good News is that there is a workaround about the Data you want to Save. There are many ways you can do this, Mate. Easiest way is to just copy them onto an External HDD, so that they can be replaced later. Another way is to copy and burn them onto DVD Disks, that can be used to replace them later. Another way is to set up another HDD as a Slave and Copy them onto there. In extreme cases where you can't access the Drive, you can set your Drive up on another Machine as a Slave Drive and do your Copying that way, using the other Machine.

Personally I always set up my HDD with extra Partitions, using C: Drive for the Operating System and using the others as Storage Areas for Data I want to save. That way, in case of a neccessary Reinstall or change in Operating System only the Data on C: Drive (that has not been moved to the other Partitions before) is lost in it. I also Burn my Data to DVD's on a regular basis, Just In Case.

Quite honestly, you will only need to lose your Data once to see how good an Idea that is.

If you decide to either reinstall XP or go to WIN7, please follow what is above, and Post back. I will try to Help you through with it, but just wait a little while? Someone may come up with a better Plan in the meantime.

Edited by Abacus 7, 21 November 2009 - 02:07 AM.

#9 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:33 AM

Start with the simple fixes and work your way up.

Accessing Windows Updates is a two step process. One is you have to have the correct version of Internet Explorer installed. IE6SP1 is the oldest (legacy) version of Internet Explorer you can have on your machine and be able to download Windows Updates. Windows XP Service Pack 2 is the oldest version of any Windows operating system you can have installed and be able to access the current version of the Windows Update web site.

PLEASE NOTE: I said CURRENT VERSION of the Windows Update website because you can still get Windows Updates for legacy operating systems [i.e.: 95, 98, ME, 2000]. Microsoft just wont support you if you have a problem.

Do this to reset Windows Update components:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users