Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Closing lvcoms.exe causes crashes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:06 PM

I'm having an odd problem with the lvcoms file. For a while, I had a Logitech webcam, and at that time of course I needed the lvcoms.exe file running. However, although I no longer have the camera and THOUGHT I'd uninstalled all the software, my 'Close Programs' box still shows lvcoms running.

What makes things worse is that if I TRY to close it using the Close Programs box, I get the Evil Blue Screen of Death twice and then my computer crashes.

I noticed that my computer was rather unstable when I had the Webcam, and crashed occassionally when using it - which is one reason why I got rid of it - and the fact that the program is doing this when I try to close it is only a further source of worry.

To put it simply: I want to get rid of this thing. For good. I want the program gone, I don't want it running in the background, and I don't want it to start when I start up my computer.

So what can I do?

Edited by Soul Reaver, 08 August 2005 - 09:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 01:06 PM

Your operating system is????

Go to Start>Run and type in msconfig. Find the line with lvcoms.exe under the Startup tab and remove the checkmark. Reboot. Go to Start>Find>Files and folders and do a search for the offending file. It will probably be in a folder with the remnants of your webcam software. Delete either the folder or the file.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:19 PM

Sorry about that. My OS is Windows 98 SE.

I'll try that out... but won't it mean that there are also remaining registry entries and the like?

Incidentally, I already did a search for the file. It's in the Windows/System folder which is why I was reluctant to remove it.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:57 AM

According to the Bleeping Computer Startup Database (at the top of the page) lvcoms.exe is "Lvcomm server. Related to Logitech Quick Cam - works fine without it but it is needed for the Logitech ImageStudio software to connect to the camera" That would indicate to me that you have to remove ImageStudio via Add/Remove programs to be rid of lvcoms.exe.

Disabling the process through msconfig only stops that process from running at start up. So, yes, that will leave that process in the registry. Uninstalling a program, even through Add/Remove programs is no guarantee that registry values, files and folders are also removed. It depends very much on the thoroughness of the programs uninstaller.

Lvcoms.exe is not a Windows System file so deleting it won't do any harm, but only after you have uninstalled Image Studio. If you delete the file without uninstalling the program you will no doubt get an error when you boot.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users