Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP 0x7B error on boot in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adambrown

adambrown

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:11 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop running WinXP SP2 (Pentium M 1.55Ghz, 500MB RAM, 25GB HD). When I try to boot into Safe Mode, I get a BSOD with a STOP 0x0000007B (0xF8BA0528, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) error. The computer had previously been infected with the Virut virus, however, I think I have gotten rid of it by using Ez-Pc-Fix (www.ezpcfix.net)and the Virut Removal Tool (rmvirut.exe) from AVG in UBCD. Additionally I think that I had this problem before I got the virus, and I just remembered about it now because I wanted to boot into Safe Mode while trying to get rid of the virus. I have no problem booting into Windows normally. I ran chkdsk /f /r, and it said it needed to reboot. I did so and it ran, however, I can't tell if it fixed anything because I can't find a log file, and chkdsk in Windows is still finding errors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by adambrown, 20 November 2009 - 08:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:58 AM

My understanding is that Virut infections require a clean install of Windows...before users can hope for the system security/function to return to normal.

I suggest that you take that path, but I'm no malware professional/expert.

Louis

#3 adambrown

adambrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

As I said, I believe that this problem started before I got the virus. I just want to know what could cause a 0x7B error only in Safe Mode and how I can fix it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

Authoritative website for STOP errors: http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm.

The fact that you get a STOP error in safe mode...the question is, do you get one with a normal boot?

If not, then I would say that may point to a hardware or malware situation...there aren't any clear-cut, precise guidelines when dealing with either STOP errors or malware or hardware situations. Trial-and-error helps eliminate suspects, but may never necessarily point to the right one.

Louis

#5 adambrown

adambrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

I do not get any errors when booting normally.

According to Microsoft (here), error 0x7B means INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE:

The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check has a value of 0x0000007B. This bug check indicates that the Microsoft Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup.

Since it is happening only when I try to boot into Safe Mode, I would think it might mean that there is a driver for the HD that is not being loaded.

Edited by adambrown, 20 November 2009 - 01:43 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

I think you are missing the point.

A STOP error which occurs in safe mode, but does not occur in normal boot...makes no sense.

At least, no sense when reviewing the known causes of BSODs which relate to either O/S functioning or hardware.

Drivers are a frequent cause of BSODS, ususally when the driver has become damaged. When a system boots, various drivers load at various stages of the boot process.

Booting into safe mode...reduces the number of drivers loading.

So...any BSOD which might be due to a driver...is somewhat reduced by booting in safe mode. Windows drivers can still create a BSOD, but the chances of a hardware or software driver creating such...are reduced, if not eliminated.

Since it seems that you have chosen not to quote AUMHA, I will:

"0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus."

Since it isn't logical for a boot volume to be "lost" during safe mode boot....yet "found" when booting normally, I suggest that the second noted cause may be applicable.

If it were me, I would run the correct respective hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive...to satisfy myself that it is without perceived functional problems. Long/extended test.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

I don't claim to know what's wrong with your system...I only suggest based on my interpretations of what you have reported thus far.

Louis

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

Download and run this file:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/...otKeyRepair.exe

Then try Safe Mode again.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 adambrown

adambrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

Sorry for the delay.

Budapest, I hadn't seen your post, so I did a Rebuild Re-install of Windows (see here). Even though Setup crashed when it tried to boot into Windows, Windows works fine, and I can boot into Safe Mode without any errors :thumbsup: . But thanks for the suggestions and help, everyone.

Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users